Re: kselftest OOT run_tests

On 5/27/20 12:40 PM, Yauheni Kaliuta wrote:
On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 9:22 PM shuah <shuah@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 5/27/20 1:30 AM, Yauheni Kaliuta wrote:
Hi, shuah!

On Tue, 26 May 2020 11:13:29 -0600, shuah   wrote:

   > On 5/25/20 7:55 AM, Yauheni Kaliuta wrote:
   >> Hi!
   >>
   >> I'm wondering how out of tree check is supposed to work for make
   >> O=dir run_tests from selftests (or make -C ...) directory?
   >>
   >> (both with 051f278e9d81 ("kbuild: replace KBUILD_SRCTREE with
   >> boolean building_out_of_srctree") and without)
   >>
   >> make M= ... does not work with run_tests.
   >>

   > Kselftests run_tests target isn't intended for building and
   > running tests OOT.

But there is code there trying to handle it. All that OUTPUT
related things must be removed if it's broken, right? Can I post
a patch?

   > Also make M= doesn't make sense for them.

Well, M=... at least includes all the makefiles.

   > There is no support to build OOT at the moment. I would like
   > to get a better understanding of your use-case. Can you
   > elaborate?

I care about make install actually. But fixing it I had to deal
with OUTPUT. Looking a proper for that I found that it's a bit
broken.

kselftest supports install of all all tests and a sub-set of tests
both native and cross-builds.

Simple case:
If you want to build all tests and install to $HOME/install/
This has a dependency on kernel being built in the source repo
you are running the following install command from:

In Kernel source root dir run:
make kselftest-install O=$HOME/install

You will find installed tests with run script to run them all
under $HOME/install/kselftest/kselftest_install/

If you run run_kselftest.sh under kselftest_install, it will run
all the tests.

You can use TARGETS var to build a sub-set of tests.

In Kernel source root dir run:
make kselftest-install TARGETS=bpf O=$HOME/install

Have you tried it with the recent bpf tree? ;)
 > (BTW, it is a bit misleading, it's building there, not installing).

It doesn't build for me on Linux 5.7-rc7 - install is another story

bpf install through kselftest-install hasn't been working for a
while.

bpf test has dependency bpftool and its Makefile is more complex
as a result.

thanks,
-- Shuah