Re: kselftest OOT run_tests

Hi, Joe!

 > On 5/26/20 1:13 PM, shuah wrote:
 >> On 5/25/20 7:55 AM, Yauheni Kaliuta wrote:
 >>> Hi!
 >>>
 >>> I'm wondering how out of tree check is supposed to work for make
 >>> O=dir run_tests from selftests (or make -C ...) directory?
 >>>
 >>> (both with 051f278e9d81 ("kbuild: replace KBUILD_SRCTREE with
 >>> boolean building_out_of_srctree") and without)
 >>>
 >>> make M= ... does not work with run_tests.
 >>>

 >> Kselftests run_tests target isn't intended for building and running
 >> tests OOT. Also make M= doesn't make sense for them.
 >>
 >> There is no support to build OOT at the moment. I would like to get
 >> a better understanding of your use-case. Can you elaborate?
 >>

 > Hey Yauheni, can you CC me on the use-case explanation?

 > We currently do something really silly for the livepatch
 > selftests on RHEL-7 for CKI that requires building them as
 > pseudo OOT... in our case, we'd like to just be able to do
 > something like make modules_prepare && make M= lib/livepatch,
 > so perhaps a bit different... but I'd be curious for which
 > problem you're currently trying to solve.

I care about `make install` for tests at the moment, for CI. For
CI you need to build kernel, install (and save/pack) the tests,
then boot the kernel and run the tests. It deals with OUTPUT, I
looked how to do it properly and found what I found.

My understanding, that it was supposed to work the way you
described. But looks like I'm wrong.

--
WBR,
Yauheni Kaliuta