Re: [net-next v3 2/2] igc: Link queues to NAPI instances

On Tue, Oct 22, 2024 at 01:53:01PM -0700, Jacob Keller wrote:

> On 10/22/2024 1:28 PM, Joe Damato wrote:
> > I took another look at this to make sure that RTNL is held when
> > igc_set_queue_napi is called after the e1000 bug report came in [1],
> > and there may be two locations I've missed:
> >
> > 1. igc_resume, which calls __igc_open
> > 2. igc_io_error_detected, which calls igc_down
> >
> > In both cases, I think the code can be modified to hold rtnl around
> > calls to __igc_open and igc_down.
> >
> > Let me know what you think ?
> >
> > If you agree that I should hold rtnl in both of those cases, what is
> > the best way to proceed:
> >   - send a v4, or
> >   - wait for this to get merged (since I got the notification it was
> >     pulled into intel-next) and send a fixes ?
> >

> Intel-next uses a stacked set of patches which we then send in batches
> via PRs as they pass our internal testing.
>
> We can drop the v3 and await v4.

OK, thanks for the info. I will prepare, test locally, and send a
v4 shortly.

> > Here's the full analysis I came up with; I tried to be thorough, but
> > it is certainly possible I missed a call site:
> >
> > For the up case:
> >
> > - igc_up:
> >   - called from igc_reinit_locked, which is called via:
> >     - igc_reset_task (rtnl is held)
> >     - igc_set_features (ndo_set_features, which itself has an ASSERT_RTNL)
> >     - various places in igc_ethtool (set_priv_flags, nway_reset,
> >       ethtool_set_eee) all of which have RTNL held
> >   - igc_change_mtu which also has RTNL held
> > - __igc_open
> >   - called from igc_resume, which may need an rtnl_lock ?
> >   - igc_open
> >     - called from igc_io_resume, rtnl is held
> >     - called from igc_reinit_queues, only via ethool set_channels,
> >       where rtnl is held
> >     - ndo_open where rtnl is held
> >
> > For the down case:
> >
> > - igc_down:
> >   - called from various ethtool locations (set_ringparam,
> >     set_pauseparam, set_link_ksettings) all of which hold rtnl
> >   - called from igc_io_error_detected, which may need an rtnl_lock
> >   - igc_reinit_locked which is fine, as described above
> >   - igc_change_mtu which is fine, as described above
> >   - called from __igc_close
> >     - called from __igc_shutdown which holds rtnl
> >     - called from igc_reinit_queues which is fine as described above
> >     - called from igc_close which is ndo_close
>
> This analysis looks complete to me.

Thanks; I'd appreciate your comments on the e1000 RFC I posted, if
you have a moment. I'm going to update that thread with more data
now that I have analysed igc as there are some parallels:

https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/20241022172153.217890-1-jdamato@xxxxxxxxxx/