Re: [RFC bpf-next 0/3] libbpf: Add support for aliased BPF programs

On 9/4/24 21:07, Andrii Nakryiko wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 3, 2024 at 1:19 PM Alexei Starovoitov
> <alexei.starovoitov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tbh, I'm not too keen on adding this aliasing complication just for
> this. It seems a bit too intrusive for something so obscure.
>
> retsnoop doesn't need this and bypasses the issue by cloning with
> bpf_prog_load(), can bpftrace follow the same model? If we need to add
> some getters to bpf_program() to make this easier, that sounds like a
> better long-term investment, API-wise.

Yes, as I already mentioned, it should be possible to use cloning via
bpf_prog_load(). The aliasing approach just seemed simpler from tool's
perspective - you just emit one alias for each clone and libbpf takes
care of the rest. But I admit that I anticipated the change to be much
simpler than it turned out to be.

Let me try add the cloning and I'll see if we could add something to
libbpf to make it simpler.

>>> That's a good suggestion, thanks! We added subprograms to bpftrace only
>>> relatively recently so I didn't really think about this option. I'll
>>> definitely give it a try as it could be even more efficient.

>>> Yes, that is correct. libbpf will create a copy of the program for each
>>> symbol in PROGBITS section that it discovers (including aliases) and the
>>> copies will be loaded into kernel.
>>>
>>> It's mainly the footprint of the BPF object produced by bpftrace that I
>>> was concerned about. (The reason is that we work on ahead-of-time
>>> compilation so it will directly affect the size of the pre-compiled
>>> binaries). But the above solution using global subprograms should reduce
>>> the in-kernel footprint, too, so I'll try to add it and see if it would
>>> work for bpftrace.
>>
>> I think it's a half solution, since prog will be duplicated anyway and
>> loaded multiple times into the kernel.
>>
>> I think it's better to revive this patch sets:
>>
>> v1:
>> https://lore.kernel.org/bpf/20240220035105.34626-1-dongmenglong.8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/
>>
>> v2:
>> https://lore.kernel.org/bpf/20240311093526.1010158-1-dongmenglong.8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/
>>
>> Unfortunately it went off rails, because we went deep into trying
>> to save bpf trampoline memory too.
>>

> +1 to adding multi-attach fentry, even if it will have to duplicate trampolines

That would resolve fentry but the same problem still exists for (raw)
tracepoints. In bpftrace, you may want to do something like
`tracepoint:syscalls:sys_enter_* { ... }` and at the moment, we still
need to the cloning in such case.

But still, it does solve a part of the problem and could be useful for
bpftrace to reduce the memory footprint for wildcarded fentry probes.
I'll try to find some time to give this a shot (unless someone beats me
to it).

Viktor