Re: Supporting New Memory Barrier Types in BPF

> [...]
>> real barriers
>> there may be a bit to spend in such a barrier insn that is only a
>> compiler barrier.
>> In this case optimizing JIT barrier.
>>
>>> II. Implicit barriers can get confusing
>>> ---------------------------------------
>>>
>>> We noticed that, as a bit of a surprise, the __sync_*fetch*() built-ins do not
>>> always imply a full barrier for BPF on ARM.  For example, when using LLVM, the
>>> frequently-used __sync_fetch_and_add() can either imply "relaxed" (no barrier),
>>> or "acquire and release" (full barrier) semantics, depending on if its return
>>> value is used:
>>>
>>> Case (a): return value is used
>>>
>>>    SEC("...")
>>>    int64_t foo;
>>>
>>>    int64_t func(...) {
>>>        return __sync_fetch_and_add(&foo, 1);
>>>    }
>>>
>>> For case (a), Clang gave us:
>>>
>>>    3:    db 01 00 00 01 00 00 00 r0 = atomic_fetch_add((u64 *)(r1 + 0x0), r0)
>>>
>>>    opcode    (0xdb): BPF_STX | BPF_ATOMIC | BPF_DW
>>>    imm (0x00000001): BPF_ADD | BPF_FETCH
>>>
>>> Case (b): return value is ignored
>>>
>>>    SEC("...")
>>>    int64_t foo;
>>>
>>>    int64_t func(...) {
>>>        __sync_fetch_and_add(&foo, 1);
>>>
>>>        return foo;
>>>    }
>>>
>>> For case (b), Clang gave us:
>>>
>>>    3:    db 12 00 00 00 00 00 00 lock *(u64 *)(r2 + 0x0) += r1
>>>
>>>    opcode    (0xdb): BPF_STX | BPF_ATOMIC | BPF_DW
>>>    imm (0x00000000): BPF_ADD
>>>
>>> LLVM decided to drop BPF_FETCH, since the return value of
>>> __sync_fetch_and_add() is being ignored [2].  Now, if we take a look at
>>> emit_lse_atomic() in the BPF JIT compiler code for ARM64 (suppose that LSE
>>> atomic instructions are being used):
>>>
>>>    case BPF_ADD:
>>>            emit(A64_STADD(isdw, reg, src), ctx);
>>>            break;
>>>    <...>
>>>    case BPF_ADD | BPF_FETCH:
>>>            emit(A64_LDADDAL(isdw, src, reg, src), ctx);
>>>            break;
>>>
>>> STADD is an alias for LDADD.  According to [3]:
>>>
>>>    * LDADDAL for case (a) has "acquire" plus "release" semantics
>>>    * LDADD for case (b) "has neither acquire nor release semantics"
>>>
>>> This is pretty non-intuitive; a compiler built-in should not have inconsistent
>>> implications on memory ordering, and it is better not to require all BPF
>>> programmers to memorize this.
>>>
>>> GCC seems a bit ambiguous [4] on whether __sync_*fetch*() built-ins should
>>> always imply a full barrier.  GCC considers these __sync_*() built-ins as
>>> "legacy", and introduced a new set of __atomic_*() built-ins ("Memory Model
>>> Aware Atomic Operations") [5] to replace them.  These __atomic_*() built-ins
>>> are designed to be a lot more explicit on memory ordering, for example:
>>>
>>>    type __atomic_fetch_add (type *ptr, type val, int memorder)
>>>
>>> This requires the programmer to specify a memory order type (relaxed, acquire,
>>> release...) via the "memorder" parameter.  Currently in LLVM, for BPF, those
>>> __atomic_*fetch*() built-ins seem to be aliases to their __sync_*fetch*()
>>> counterparts (the "memorder" parameter seems effectively ignored), and are not
>>> fully supported.
>> This sounds like a compiler bug.
>>
>> Yonghong, Jose,
>> do you know what compilers do for other backends?
>> Is it allowed to convert sycn_fetch_add into sync_add when fetch part is unused?
>
> This behavior is introduced by the following llvm commit:
> https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/commit/286daafd65129228e08a1d07aa4ca74488615744
>
> Specifically the following commit message:
>
> =======
> Similar to xadd, atomic xadd, xor and xxor (atomic_<op>)
> instructions are added for atomic operations which do not
> have return values. LLVM will check the return value for
> __sync_fetch_and_{add,and,or,xor}.
> If the return value is used, instructions atomic_fetch_<op>
> will be used. Otherwise, atomic_<op> instructions will be used.
> ======
>
> Basically, if no return value, __sync_fetch_and_add() will use
> xadd insn. The decision is made at that time to maintain backward compatibility.
> For one example, in bcc
>   https://github.com/iovisor/bcc/blob/master/src/cc/export/helpers.h#L1444
> we have
>   #define lock_xadd(ptr, val) ((void)__sync_fetch_and_add(ptr, val))
>
> Should we use atomic_fetch_*() always regardless of whether the return
> val is used or not? Probably, it should still work. Not sure what gcc
> does for this case.

GCC behaves similarly.

For program A:

  long foo;

  long func () {
        return __sync_fetch_and_add(&foo, 1);
  }

bpf-unknown-none-gcc -O2 compiles to:

  0000000000000000 <func>:
     0:	18 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 	r0=0 ll
     8:	00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    10:	b7 01 00 00 01 00 00 00 	r1=1
    18:	db 10 00 00 01 00 00 00 	r1=atomic_fetch_add((u64*)(r0+0),r1)
    20:	bf 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 	r0=r1
    28:	95 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 	exit

And for program B:

  long foo;

  long func () {
       __sync_fetch_and_add(&foo, 1);
        return foo;
  }

bpf-unknown-none-gcc -O2 compiles to:

  0000000000000000 <func>:
     0:	18 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 	r0=0 ll
     8:	00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    10:	b7 01 00 00 01 00 00 00 	r1=1
    18:	db 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 	lock *(u64*)(r0+0)+=r1
    20:	79 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 	r0=*(u64*)(r0+0)
    28:	95 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 	exit

Internally:

- When compiling the program A GCC decides to emit an
  `atomic_fetch_addDI' insn, documented as:

  'atomic_fetch_addMODE', 'atomic_fetch_subMODE'
  'atomic_fetch_orMODE', 'atomic_fetch_andMODE'
  'atomic_fetch_xorMODE', 'atomic_fetch_nandMODE'

     These patterns emit code for an atomic operation on memory with
     memory model semantics, and return the original value.  Operand 0
     is an output operand which contains the value of the memory
     location before the operation was performed.  Operand 1 is the
     memory on which the atomic operation is performed.  Operand 2 is
     the second operand to the binary operator.  Operand 3 is the memory
     model to be used by the operation.

  The BPF backend defines atomic_fetch_add for DI modes (long) to expand
  to this BPF instruction:

      %w0 = atomic_fetch_add((<smop> *)%1, %w0)

- When compiling the program B GCC decides to emit an `atomic_addDI'
  insn, documented as:

  'atomic_addMODE', 'atomic_subMODE'
  'atomic_orMODE', 'atomic_andMODE'
  'atomic_xorMODE', 'atomic_nandMODE'

     These patterns emit code for an atomic operation on memory with
     memory model semantics.  Operand 0 is the memory on which the
     atomic operation is performed.  Operand 1 is the second operand to
     the binary operator.  Operand 2 is the memory model to be used by
     the operation.

  The BPF backend defines atomic_fetch_add for DI modes (long) to expand
  to this BPF instruction:

      lock *(<smop> *)%w0 += %w1

This is done for all targets. In x86-64, for example, case A compiles
to:

  0000000000000000 <func>:
     0:	b8 01 00 00 00       	mov    $0x1,%eax
     5:	f0 48 0f c1 05 00 00 	lock xadd %rax,0x0(%rip)        # e <func+0xe>
     c:	00 00
     e:	c3                   	retq

And case B compiles to:

  0000000000000000 <func>:
     0:	f0 48 83 05 00 00 00 	lock addq $0x1,0x0(%rip)        # 9 <func+0x9>
     7:	00 01
     9:	48 8b 05 00 00 00 00 	mov    0x0(%rip),%rax        # 10 <func+0x10>
    10:	c3                   	retq

Why wouldn't the compiler be allowed to optimize from atomic_fetch_add
to atomic_add in this case?