Re: xdp/xsk.c: Possible bug in xdp_umem_reg version check

On Thu, 11 Jul 2024 at 05:48, Stanislav Fomichev <sdf@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 07/10, Julian Schindel wrote:

> > > Hmm, true, this means our version check won't really work :-/ I don't
> > > see a good way to solve it without breaking the uapi. We can either
> > > add some new padding field to xdp_umem_reg to make it larger than _v2.
> > > Or we can add a new flag to signify the presence of tx_metadata_len
> > > and do the validation based on that.
> > >
> > > Btw, what are you using to setup umem? Looking at libxsk, it does
> > > `memset(&mr, 0, sizeof(mr));` which should clear the padding as well.
> >
> > I'm using "setsockopt" directly with Rust bindings and the C
> > representation of Rust structs [1]. I'm guessing the compiler is not
> > zeroing the padding, which is why I encountered the issue.
> >
> > [1]:
> > https://doc.rust-lang.org/reference/type-layout.html#the-c-representation
>
> Awesome, thanks for confirming! I guess for now you can work it around
> by having an explicit padding field and setting it to zero?
>
> For a long-term fix, I'm leaning towards adding new umem flag as
> a signal to the kernel to interpret this as a tx_metadata_len. But
> this is gonna break any existing users that set this value. Hopefully
> should not be a lot of them since it is a pretty recent functionality.
>
> I'm also gonna sprinkle some compile time asserts to make sure we can extend
> xdp_umem_reg in the future without hitting the same issue again. I'm a
> bit spoiled by sys_bpf which takes care of enforcing the padding being
> zero.
>
> Magnus, any better ideas?

Unfortunately not. This is a pest or cholera kind of choice. I agree
with you that the least bad choice here is to break it for the users
of this new functionality as they should be fewer than all the
existing users that do not use the Tx metadata functionality. Really
appreciate your suggestions to put some compile time asserts in there
to make sure we do not make the same mistake again. Thanks.