Re: Why is recursion protection needed in bpf syscalls?

On Wed, Jun 12, 2024 at 3:38 AM Usama Saqib <usama.saqib@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Some map operations via syscalls on hash maps (and some others)
> disable bpf programs from running on the same CPU with
> bpf_disable_instrumentation. The provided reason for this is to
> prevent deadlocks when a nested bpf program tries to access an already
> held bucket lock. From my understanding, this can happen due to a
> kprobe on a function called after the lock is acquired. However,
> htab_lock_bucket already handles this case by returning EBUSY if such
> a scenario were to happen. Is there any other reason for disabling bpf
> programs on the CPU?

Correct. bpf_disable_instrumentation() is a mechanism to prevent
bpf-kprobe progs being invoked from the inner places of bpf maps.
htab has a separate protection via htab_lock_bucket.
array map doesn't need such thing, but there are other map types.
disable_instrumentation() is mainly for those.

> The effect of this is that 1) bpf programs attached to a kprobe or
> tracepoint in an irq context get skipped while inside
> bpf_[enable,disable]_instrumentation block but before the
> preempt_disable via htab_lock_bucket, 2) when CONFIG_PREEMPTION=y and
> preempt=full then a bpf program running from user context may also get
> skipped while inside the bpf_[enable,disable]_instrumentation block.

Yes. It is unfortunate. Folks are working on adding htab-like
protection to other map types and there is an orthogonal effort
to introduce bpf specific spinlock with run-time deadlock protection
that bpf maps and progs will use.
Once it's available this disable_instrumention logic can be lifted.