Re: On the NACKs on P4TC patches

On Wed, May 29, 2024 at 10:46 AM Tom Herbert <tom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

I believe you are misreading those graphs or maybe you are mixing it
with the original u32/pedit script approach? The tests are run at TC
and XDP layers. Pay particular attention to the results of the
handcoded/tuned eBPF datapath at TC and at XDP compared to analogous
ones generated by the compiler. You will notice +/-5% or so
differences. That is with the current compiler generated code. We are
looking to improve that - but do note that is generated code, nothing
to do with the kernel. As the P4 program becomes more complex (many
tables, longer keys, more entries, more complex actions) then we
become compute bound, so no difference really.

Now having said that: yes - s/w performance is certainly _not our
highest priority feature_ and that is not saying we dont care but as
the text said If i am getting 2Mpps using handcoding vs 1.84Mpps using
generated code(per those graphs) and i can generate code and execute
it in 5 minutes (Chris who is knowledgeable in P4 was able to do it in
less time), then _i pick the code generation any day of the week_.
Tooling, tooling, tooling.
To re-iterate, the most important requirement is the abstraction, meaning:
I can take the same P4 program I am running in s/w and generate using
a different backend for AMD or Intel offload equivalent and get
several magnitude improvements in performance because it is now
running in h/w. I still get to use the same application controlling
either s/w and/or hardware, etc

TBH, I am indifferent and could add some numbers but it is missing the
emphasis of what we are trying to achieve, the cover letter is already
half a novel - with the short attention span most people have it will
be just muddying the waters.

> > On Tom's theory that the vendors are going to push inferior s/w for the sake of selling h/w: we are not in the 90s anymore and there's no vendor conspiracy theory here: a single port can do 100s of Gbps, and of course if you want to do high speed you need to offload, no general purpose CPU will save you.
>
> Let's not pretend that offloads are a magic bullet that just makes
> everything better, if that were true then we'd all be using TOE by
> now! There are a myriad of factors to consider whether offloading is
> worth it. What is "high speed", is this small packets or big packets,
> are we terminating TCP, are we doing some sort of fast/slow path split
> which might work great in the lab but on the Internet can become a DOS
> vector? What's the application? Are we just trying to offload parts of
> the datapath, TCP, RDMA, memcached, ML reduce operations? Are we
> trying to do line rate encryption, compression, trying to do a billion
> PCB lookups a second? Are we taking into account continuing
> advancements in the CPU that have in the past made offloads obsolete
> (for instance, AES instructions pretty much obsoleted initial attempts
> to obsolete IPsec)? How simple is the programming model, how
> debuggable is it, what's the TCO?
>
> I do believe offload is part of the solution. And the good news is
> that programmable devices facilitate that. IMO, our challenge is to
> create a facility in the kernel to kernel offloads in a much better
> way (I don't believe there's disagreement with these points).

This is about a MAT(match-action table) model whose offloads are
covered via TC and is well understood and is very specific.
We are not trying to solve "the world of offloads" which includes
TOEs. P4 aware NICs are in the market and afaik those ASICs are not
solving TOE. I thought you understand the scope but if not start by
reading this: https://github.com/p4tc-dev/docs/blob/main/why-p4tc.md

cheers,
jamal