Re: DSL vs low level language WAS(Re: On the NACKs on P4TC patches

On Fri, May 24, 2024 at 12:50 PM Tom Herbert <tom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> P4 was created to support programming the hardware data path in high
> end routers, but P4-TC would enable the use of P4 across all Linux
> devices. Since this is potentially a lot of code going into the kernel
> to support it, I believe it's entirely fair for us to evaluate and
> give feedback on the P4 language and its suitability for the broader
> user community including environments where there will never be a need
> for P4 hardware. Note that I am questioning the design decisions of P4
> in the context of supporting a DSL in the kernel via P4-TC, if the
> P4->eBPF compiler is used then then these concerns are less pertinent.
> Nevertheless, I would suggest that the P4 folks take the points being
> raised as constructive feedback on the language.

A lot of misleading info there. The P4 PNA architecture is for end
hosts not routers. For some NIC vendors you can go as far as writting
hardware GRO or TSO offload or variations of your liking  using P4
(cretainly not a middle feature). That notwithstanding the idea of
offloading match-action via TC is not new and has been widely
used/adopted for end hosts.

Tom, you want to perhaps disclose that you have a competing product?
That will help provide better context on your angle.
TBH, I am confused by what your end game is - is your view that a
crusade against P4 will make you sell more of your product? I have 3
NICs here with me (from 2 vendors) that are P4 programmable. You can
be as negative as you want about P4 but you are not going to make it
go away, sorry.

I will let Chris or whoever else on Cc respond to the P4 bits if they
wishe because there's misunderstanding there as well.

cheers,
jamal