RE: BPF ISA Security Considerations section

I've had security researchers tell me that using an interpreter in the same
address
space as other confidential data is inherently a vulnerability, i.e., no one
can prove
that it's not a side channel attack waiting to happen and all evidence is
that it cannot
be protected.  Only an interpreter in a separate address space from any
secrets
can be safe in that respect.  So I believe just saying that interpreters
"should be
audited carefully for vulnerabilities" would not pass security muster by
such folks.

> > How about:
> >
> > OLD: In general, interpreters are considered a
> > OLD: source of insecurity (e.g., gadgets susceptible to side-channel
> > attacks due to speculative execution)
> > OLD: and are not recommended.
> >
> > NEW: In general, interpreters are considered a
> > NEW: source of insecurity (e.g., gadgets susceptible to side-channel
> > attacks due to speculative execution)
> > NEW: so use of a JIT compiler is recommended instead.
>
> This is fine too. My only worry is that there have also been plenty of
vulnerabilities
> exploited against JIT engines as well, so it might be more prudent to just
warn the
> reader of the risks of interpreters/JITs in general as opposed to
prescribing one over
> the other.
>
> What do you think?

I think the "should be audited carefully for vulnerabilities" phrase would
apply to
JITs for sure.  However it would also apply to any non-BPF code in a
privileged
context such as a kernel, so it would seem odd to call it out here and not
in all other
RFCs that would apply to kernel code (e.g., TCP/IP).  But if others really
want that,
we could certainly say that.

Dave