Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Inter-VM Shared Memory Communications with eBPF

On Mon, Mar 4, 2024 at 1:59 AM Dust Li <dust.li@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 23, 2024 at 03:05:59PM -0800, Cong Wang wrote:
>
> Hi Cong,
>
> This is a good topic !
> We have proposed another solution to accelerate Inter-VM tcp/ip communication
> transparently within the same host based on SMC-D + virtio-ism
> https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/virtio-comment/202212/msg00030.html
>
> I don't know, can we do better with your proposal ?

We knew SMC and it _is_ actually why I have this eBPF based proposal.
Sorry for not providing more details here, since I just want to keep
this proposal
brief and will certain have all the details in our presentation if our
proposal gets
accepted.

The main problem of SMC is it is not fully transparent, LD_PRELOAD could
work for most cases but not all. Therefore, I don't think introducing any new
socket family is in the right direction at all.

(There are some other problems with SMC too, for instance, it requires more
than a 3-way handshake.)

And I don't think there is any conflict or overlap here at all. Our eBPF-based
solution relies on the existing inter-VM shared memory, no matter it is ivshmem
or virtio-ism. We don't propose any new way of sharing memory, what we
propose is merely using an existing one and building our solution on top.

In fact, we believe our solution can be on top of your virtio-ism,
since it is just
another flat memory region from our point of view.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.