Re: [Bpf] Standardizing BPF assembly language?

On Tue, Jan 23, 2024 at 1:52 PM David Vernet <void@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > My recollection was that the outcome of that discussion is that we were
> > going
> > > to continue to support both. If we wanted to standardize, I have a hard
> > time
> > > seeing any other way other than to standardize both dialects unless
> > there's
> > > been a significant change in sentiment since LSFMM.
> >
> > If "standardize both", does that mean neither is mandatory and each tool
> > is free to pick one or the other?  And would the IANA registry require a
> > document
> > adding any new instructions to specify the assembly in both dialects?
>
> Well, if we're standardizing on both, then yes I think it would be
> mandatory for a tool to support both, and I think instructions would
> require assembly for both dialects.

I think it's obvious that there is no way we will add gcc's flavor
of asm to kernel and llvm.

> Practically speaking that's already
> what's happening, no? Both dialects are already pervasive,

They are not. There are thousands of lines of asm written in pseudo-c
used in production applications and probably only ubpf/tests and gcc/tests
in that other asm, since gcc bpf support is not yet in the released gcc version.

There is also this asm flavor:
https://github.com/Xilinx-CNS/ebpf_asm

Which is different from pseudo-c and ubpf asm.

I don't think asm syntax should be an IETF draft.