Re: [Bpf] BPF ISA conformance groups

On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 07:28:10PM -0800, Alexei Starovoitov wrote:
> Right, but bringing the verifier into the "compliance picture"
> makes the ISA standard incomplete.
> Same can be said about nfp compliance. It's compliant with an ISA,
> but the verifier will reject things it doesn't support.

Yes, that's a good point.  Especially for anything call related I think
it's fine to say they are a mandatory part of the basic some coarse
group, but a given program type might not support it, but that is
enforced by the verifier as the compiler should not have to known about
the program type.

> All ld_imm64 and call insns look the same. The compiler emits
> them the same way.
> The src_reg encoding is what libbpf does based on compiler relocations.
>
> Then the verifier checks them differently and later JIT sees
> _all_ ld_imm64 as one type of instruction.
> Same with call insn. To x86/arm64/riscv JITs there is only one BPF CALL insn.

Yup.  Another case for ISA supported vs program type supported (and
enforced by the verifier).