Re: [RFC bpf-next 0/5] Convert iproute2 to use libbpf (WIP)

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 01:47:01PM +0200, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
> iproute2 uses its own bpf loader to load eBPF programs, which has
> evolved separately from libbpf. Since we are now standardising on
> libbpf, this becomes a problem as iproute2 is slowly accumulating
> feature incompatibilities with libbpf-based loaders. In particular,
> iproute2 has its own (expanded) version of the map definition struct,
> which makes it difficult to write programs that can be loaded with both
> custom loaders and iproute2.
>
> This series seeks to address this by converting iproute2 to using libbpf
> for all its bpf needs. This version is an early proof-of-concept RFC, to
> get some feedback on whether people think this is the right direction.
>
> What this series does is the following:
>
> - Updates the libbpf map definition struct to match that of iproute2
>   (patch 1).
> - Adds functionality to libbpf to support automatic pinning of maps when
>   exist (patches 2-3).
> - Modifies iproute2 to make it possible to compile it against libbpf
>   without affecting any existing functionality (patch 4).
> - Changes the iproute2 eBPF loader to use libbpf for loading XDP
>   programs (patch 5).
>

> As this is an early PoC, there are still a few missing pieces before
> this can be merged. Including (but probably not limited to):
>
> - Consolidate the map definition struct in the bpf_helpers.h file in the
>   kernel tree. This contains a different, and incompatible, update to
>   the struct. Since the iproute2 version has actually been released for
>   use outside the kernel tree (and thus is subject to API stability
>   constraints), I think it makes the most sense to keep that, and port
>   the selftests to use it.

It sounds like you're implying that existing libbpf format is not uapi.
It is and we cannot break it.
If patch 1 means breakage for existing pre-compiled .o that won't load
with new libbpf then we cannot use this method.
Recompiling .o with new libbpf definition of bpf_map_def isn't an option.
libbpf has to be smart before/after and recognize both old and iproute2 format.