Re: libbpf packaging

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 09:03:11AM -0700, Alexei Starovoitov wrote:
> > > 2) There's already bcc-devel's libbpf library packaged:
> > >
> > >    $ rpm -qf /usr/lib64/libbpf.so
> > >    bcc-devel-0.8.0-1.fc28.x86_64
> > >
> > >    so there's a conflict.. any chance we could rename libbpf to
> > >    something else like:
> > >
> > >    libbpf2.so
> > >    libbpfobject.so
> > >    libbpfbest.so
> > >    ...?
> >
> > I don't think we should rename the official libbpf package, this will
> > just create plain confusion and will make it much harder for potential
> > users to adapt in the long-term since we aim for /everyone/ to consume
> > official libbpf library instead of hacking their own.
> >
> > I think bcc folks are migrating to official libbpf as well, at least
> > that was my impression. Imho, this would need fixing on bcc side then.
>
> bcc migrated to libbpf some time ago.

And the libbpf.so file which is installed with bcc is "our" libbpf. bcc
simply uses libbpf (from the auto-synced standalone repo[0]) as a
submodule[1]. To package libbpf and bcc properly in Linux distros we
need a possibility to use bcc with shared libbpf library - which
probably can be achiveved by small change in bcc's CMakeLists.txt.

The standalone repo[0] might be a better base for creating a package
than full kernel sources. And using %soversion%+git%sha% (i.e.
0.0.2+git33b017) might be a better version pattern of that package.

Cheers,
Michal

[0] https://github.com/libbpf/libbpf
[1] https://github.com/iovisor/bcc/blob/master/CMakeLists.txt#L12-L16