Re: Summary of the PulseAudio/Bluetooth discussions at the BlueZ meeting in Helsinki

Hello Lennart, Luiz and all other devs!
First, since I think some may not know what is this all about(especially PA people), I working on getting PulseAudio to supportbluetooth devices, as a GSoC2008 project. That's the way people inBlueZ think is the best to support A2DP (stereo) audio devices inlinux, since ALSA is not well suited for network devices.
Thanks Lennart for your explanations, it helped me a lot to understandhow it have to be done.
I've started working on module-bluetooth-discover first, especiallybecause I don't have any A2DP device for testing right now. I'll makeit call some stub while the device module is not working. The coderight now does the same as bluez-utils/hcid/list_devices, now I'llstart to filter what are the devices of interest for PA. I haven'tbeen able to touch the code since Thursday, because of a seminar thatI had to present at school, but this week I'll be working on it.
-- João Paulo Rechi VitaMSc Computer Science StudentComputer EngineerIC / Unicamp
irc.freenode.net: jprvita
On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Lennart Poettering<lennart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> Heya!>> (Luiz, please forward this to the bluez ML!)>> So, here's my summary of the grand plan to get PA and BT working well> together. This is basically the result of the audio discussions during> the BlueZ Meeting we had in Helsinki that ended today. Especially for> you, João-Paulo, this might be very interesting!>> There should be two new PA modules, module-bluetooth-discover and> module-bluetooth-device. The former will use D-Bus to connect to the> BlueZ system services and whenever a new BT audio devices appears load> one m-bt-device instance for it. (as a side node: in contrast to linux> kernel modules, PA modules can be loaded more than once at the same> time).>> The latter, m-bt-device, then connects to the BlueZ audio service via one> BlueZ specific well known unix socket, configures a connection to the> BT device, gets a BT socket fd passed in via the unix socket and then> hands this over to its RT thread. The code for this would actually be> very similar to module-esd-sink which we ship already. m-esd-s is a> sink for PA that hands data to an existing EsounD server. It's basic> structure is very similar: we first configure the ESD connection from> the main thread via exchanging a few simple packets and then hand the> actual communication socket to the RT thread for the actual work. The> big difference in logic is mostly that the BT module needs to encode> the audio data to SBC/SCO first, while the ESD module just spits raw> PCM to the TCP stream. And then, the timing needs to be implemented> differently.>> Neither ESD nor A2DP/SCO provide any reasonable timing> source. However, the TCP socket used by ESD provides flow control> which we misuse for timing estimation. Unfortunately A2DP/SCO doesn't> even provide that, so we need to roll our own timing all the time --> with the exception that for the SCO case we can probably deduce the> remote clock from the time we get the recording packets flowing> in. Since for A2DP we mostly lack recording support we don't have that> clock and we have no other option than just using the raw local clock.> The BT socket uses DGRAM/SEQPACKET as socket type, This should> actually make things much easier than for the m-e-s case, since packet> deserilization is much easier.>> Since we only have a single socket for both recording and playback> m-bt-device should register both a sink and a source at the same time> and run it from the same RT thread. This is similar to what module-oss> does, but different from e.g. the alsa modules which run the sink and> the source from seperate threads.>> The seperation of m-bt-discover and m-bt-device is very similar to the> seperation between module-hal and module-alsa-{sink,source} or> module-zeroconf-discover and module-tunnel.>> To improve the timing estimation, the BlueZ team will add support for> and SIOCOUTQ/SIOCINQ on the BT audio socket. This should tell us how> many bytes are buffered locally. Of course, we still would have no> idea how many bytes are buffered on the receivng side, but it would> help us at least a bit to make our timing more reliable. Also, they> want to add a new sockopt which would allow us to query the BT clock> of the BT device. We can probably assume that the audio clock of the> BT device is dependant or identical to the BT clock. This would allow> us to make sure we stay in sync with the device as much as possible,> even tough we still would have no idea about the actual latency.>> The first step to implement is certainly m-bt-device without any fancy> timing. The next step would be m-bt-discover and finally, the fancier> timing estimation should be implemented. And finally the native volume> support should be implemented.>> m-bt-device would probably not use D-Bus itself at all. Only> m-bt-discover would.>> Eventually the btaudio unix socket should also be used to pass the key> events from the bt head set. I'd need to add a simple subsystem to> pass them on to the application then. Those keypresses would then be> passed to the application inline via the audio API. On one hand I see> that it would be good send the key events inline to make clear to> which audio device they belong. OTOH I have a bad feeling about this> because I don't want to add yet another key event subsystem, in> addtion to XIE, the linux input stuff and even HAL. We need to think> about this a bit more. (It is interesting to note, that having the> sound server forward "pause" and "resume" request to applications is> on the todo list anyway, to allow policy modules to request music> playback stopping on imcoming phone calls and suchlike. So doing the> full "audio key" set of keypresses would be a simple extension of> that.)>> Marcel, Johan, Luiz, Marc-André, Claudio, did I miss anything?>> Lennart>> --> Lennart Poettering                        Red Hat, Inc.> lennart [at] poettering [dot] net         ICQ# 11060553> http://0pointer.net/lennart/           GnuPG 0x1A015CC4>-------------------------------------------------------------------------Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.It's the best place to buy or sell services forjust about anything Open Source.http://sourceforge.net/services/buy/index.php_______________________________________________Bluez-devel mailing listBluez-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bluez-devel