Re: Use cases for dynamically loading/unloading plugins?

Johan Hedberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you may know recent BlueZ versions (since 3.30) and the upcoming
> 4.x branch will use plugins for several different purposes, including
> local bluetooth services (e.g. audio, input, network, etc) which were
> previously implemented as separate processes. For the separate process
> case we had an API for starting and stopping services but currently
> there is no D-Bus methods planned to allow loading or unloading of
> plugins at runtime. Instead, there only is a configuration file (/etc/
> bluetooth/main.conf added in 3.32) which can be used to specify which
> plugins should not be loaded when hcid starts.
>
> We were today debating with the developers whether it would be useful
> to have a D-Bus API for dynamically loading and unloading of installed
> plugins but couldn't really reach a consensus. Personally I have a
> "gut" feeling that these would be good to have but don't really have a
> really good use case for it. Marcel otoh doesn't feel a need for it
> and won't add the API without good use cases. So, we would like to
> hear any needs (with use cases) that people on this list might have
> for this feature.
>
> Johan

 From a general point of view, I would say the following:

Dynamically loading functionality is an very good thing! This means no
resources are lost during startup and only features are only loaded when
needed.

If we uses bluez in a mobile device, resources take up power and speed.
Having a dynamic feature that loads "input" and "audio" plugins when
such devices really are connected would be a great. No need for users to
manually enable disable features.

Both from usability and technical point of view i would suggest
dynamically loading and unloading plugins.

Thanks in advance,

Jelle