This Week at Interior!

Title: This Week at Interior!
Our weekly recap of events at the U.S. Department of the Interior
This Week at Interior
Secretary Haaland is greeted by a Micronesian delegation during her tour of Pacific islands.

This Week: Secretary Haaland wraps up her week-long trip to the Pacific Islands; President Biden designates the Emmett Till and Mamie Till-Mobley National Monument; Interior announces new investments that will bring clean, reliable drinking water to communities across the West; the White House holds its first-ever Methane Summit; nearly $6 million in funding will create good-paying jobs and economic opportunity by reclaiming abandoned coal mines in Iowa; a fish passage project is getting close to completion in Alaska; Interior turns out in force to support gatherings of Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts; Landsat marks another anniversary; it's a "fee free day" to celebrate the Great American Outdoors Act's third birthday; and we'll take you to where the fireweed is burning bright this summer in our social media Picture of the Week!

Watch the Video

Secretary Haaland Visits Pacific Islands

Secretary Haaland and Assistant Secretary for Insular and International Affairs Cantor are greeted in the Federated States of Micronesia.

Secretary Haaland and Assistant Secretary for Insular and International Affairs Carmen G. Cantor wrapped up a week-long trip to the Pacific Islands this week.

Read More

President Biden Designates Three Sites as the Emmett Till and Mamie Till-Mobley National Monument

Black and white archival photo of Emmett Till with his mother, Mamie Till-Mobley.

President Biden designated the Emmett Till and Mamie Till-Mobley National Monument this week, which protects three historic sites in Illinois and Mississippi that will help tell a more complete story of our nation’s history.

Read More

$152 Million from Bipartisan Infrastructure Law Will Expand Water Storage

A construction trench and water pipeline stretch into the distance along a rural western highway.

Interior and the Bureau of Reclamation this week announced a $152 million investment from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law that will bring clean, reliable drinking water to communities across the West through six water storage and conveyance projects.

Read More

White House Hosts Methane Summit to Address Climate Crisis

A rusted oil tank sits in an open field at the site of an abandoned oil well.

Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary for Land and Minerals Management Laura Daniel-Davis joined Administration leaders at the first-ever White House Methane Summit this week to discuss the urgent need to dramatically reduce methane emissions as a way to protect public health, create good-paying jobs and advance the Administration’s climate agenda.

Read More

New Resources Will Help Revitalize Communities in Iowa

Heavy equipment operates in the mud at the site of an abandoned coal mine.

The Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement this week announced nearly $6 million in funding from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law to create good-paying jobs and catalyze economic opportunity by reclaiming abandoned mine lands in Iowa.

Read More

USFWS Director Visits Alaska Fish Passage Project

The clear waters of the Little Tonisina River flow across a rugged landscape of rocks, mud and trees in Alaska, a mountain rises in the distance.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Director Martha Williams this week visited a fish passage project nearing completion on the Little Tonisina River in Alaska's Valdez-Cordova Borough.

Read More

Interior Supports Boy Scout, Girl Scout Gatherings

An OSMRE employee holds out a map as she speaks to a young man inside a tent at the 2023 Boy Scout Jamboree.

Personnel from the National Park Service and the Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement were on hand at the Summit Bechtel Reserve in Glen Jean, West Virginia, for this year's National Boy Scout Jamboree. Meanwhile girl scouts from across the nation gathered in Orlando, Florida, for the tri-annual Girl Scout Convention and Phenom event, and Interior was there in force.

Learn More

Landsat Anniversary Marks 51st Anniversary

NASA animation of Landsat 9 in Earth orbit.

Since 1972, the U.S. Geological Survey and NASA have worked together on an unprecedented and nearly continuous visual record of Earth’s landscapes, icescapes and coastal ecosystems.

Learn More

Interior Marks Great American Outdoors Act Anniversary

The sun rises over a mountain in the distance, trees and shrubs line a hillside in the foreground.

Get ready to get outdoors! Interior is celebrating the anniversary of the Great American Outdoors Act with a fee free day on our public lands; entrance fees will be waived August 4th at all lands managed by the Department.

Read More

twitter

Tweet of the Week

Secretary Haaland Twitter Icon

Secretary Deb Haaland  @SecDebHaaland

Today, we celebrate the Americans with Disabilities Act—a law that transformed life for Americans with differing abilities. Last month, I saw how the Great American Outdoors Act is making our public lands more accessible with new walking paths at @SaratogaNHP.

Wheelchair accessible paths at Saratoga National Park.

Details |  Retweet

Picture of the Week

Pink and purple fireweed flowers spring up along a gravel road, surrounded by green grass and mountains off in the distance.

Our social media Picture of the Week comes from Denali National Park and Preserve in Alaska, where the fireweed blooms bright every July. This resilient plant gets its name because it thrives in areas once devastated by fires, covering over scarred landscapes with blazing color.

See the picture on Twitter

facebooktwitterinstagramsubscribe

This email was sent to list-blm-ca@xxxxxxxxxxx by: U.S. Department of the Interior · 1849 C Street, N.W. · Washington DC 20240 · 202-208-3100 GovDelivery logo