This Week at Interior!

Title: This Week at Interior!
Our weekly recap of events at the U.S. Department of the Interior
This Week at Interior
President Biden addresses a joint session of Congress

This Week: President Biden highlights his administration's accomplishments in his State of the Union address; Interior leaders welcome Governors and Delegates from U.S. island territories to the Interagency Group on Insular Areas; Secretary Haaland travels to Pennsylvania to highlight historic investments to cap orphaned oil and gas wells; Interior announces over $24.6 million to reclaim abandoned mine lands in Indiana; the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service proposes a new rule to strengthen conservation under the Endangered Species Act; the U.S. Geological Survey will map Puerto Rico to better understand geologic hazards; construction gets underway at the Desert Quartzite solar project in California; and we're wishing the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service a happy birthday with our social media Picture of the Week!

Watch the Video

President Biden Highlights Accomplishments, Outlines Agenda at State of the Union

President Biden delivers his State of the Union address to a joint session of Congress

President Biden delivered his State of the Union address this week, highlighting administration accomplishments in his first two years, including passage of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law and the Inflation Reduction Act.

Watch the President’s Address

Interior Leaders Meet with U.S. Territory Representatives at Interagency Group on Insular Areas

Secretary Haaland and Assistant Secretary for Insular and International Affairs Cantor pose with Governors and Delegates of U.S. Territories

Secretary Haaland and Assistant Secretary for Insular and International Affairs Carmen Cantor this week welcomed the Governors and Delegates of American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands to the annual Interagency Group on Insular Areas.

Read More

Secretary Haaland Discusses Legacy Pollution in Pennsylvania

Secretary Haaland speaks at the site of an orphaned oil well in Pennsylvania

Secretary Haaland traveled to Pennsylvania to highlight how the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law is making historic investments to cap orphaned oil and gas wells and revitalize economies.

Learn More

Indiana Receives Over $24.6 Million for Economic Revitalization, Legacy Pollution Cleanup

A backhoe moves dirt at a coal mining site

The Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement this week announced more than $24.6 million to create good-paying union jobs and catalyze economic opportunity by reclaiming abandoned mine lands in Indiana.

Read More

New Rule Proposed to Bolster Conservation Under Endangered Species Act

Male and female bald eagles gather in an icy pond

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is proposing a new rule to strengthen voluntary conservation opportunities under the Endangered Species Act.

Read More

Bipartisan Infrastructure Law Helps Scientists Map Puerto Rico Geology

A group of scientists in a boat off the coast of Puerto Rico

The U.S. Geological Survey this week announced an $830,000 investment from the Infrastructure Law to map Puerto Rico to better understand its geology, including the potential for seismic hazards.

Read More

BLM Approves Construction of Desert Quartzite Solar Project

A large solar energy array stretches across a desert landscape

The Bureau of Land Management this week announced the start of construction of the Desert Quartzite solar project near Blythe in eastern Riverside County, California.

Read More

twitter

Tweet of the Week

Secretary Haaland Twitter Icon

Secretary Deb Haaland  @SecDebHaaland

When I was raising my child Somah, I didn’t have a lot of money and relied on free opportunities to offer them experiences in the outdoors. @Interior has a great list of Fee Free Days to help make our public lands accessible to all.

Sunrise over Lamar River in Yellowstone National Park

Details |  Retweet

Picture of the Week

A pair of trumpeter swans show affection and form a heart shape as the pair strengthens their bond on a wildlife refuge.

With our social media Picture of the Week we're wishing a Happy Birthday to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service! It was this week in 1940 that Interior consolidated the Bureau of Fisheries and the Bureau of Biological Survey into one agency, calling it the Fish and Wildlife Service. With roots tracing back as far as 1871, the Service’s programs are some of the oldest efforts dedicated to natural resource and species conservation.

See the picture on Twitter

facebooktwitterinstagramsubscribe

This email was sent to list-blm-ca@xxxxxxxxxxx by: U.S. Department of the Interior · 1849 C Street, N.W. · Washington DC 20240 · 202-208-3100 GovDelivery logo