US Department of the Interior In Case You Missed It

Date: Monday, September 28, 2022
Contact: Interior_Press@xxxxxxxxxxx

Secretary Haaland Op-Ed on the Removal of Sq___ from Public Lands

In a new op-ed for the Washington Post out today, Secretary of the Interior Deb Haaland discusses the removal of a hateful and derogatory term for Indigenous women from nearly 650 federal land units.

"Changing geographic names is a step my department was able to take — a significant step — in affirming the value of Indigenous women. Furthermore, it demonstrates my commitment to ensuring that our public lands and waters are accessible and welcoming. These should be places to celebrate the outdoors and our shared cultural heritage, not perpetuate legacies of oppression," Secretary Haaland says.

The full op-ed can be viewed here: How we expunged a racist, sexist slur from hundreds of public lands.

###

U.S. Department of the Interior | 1849 C Street NW, Washington, DC

FacebookTwitterInstagramYoutube

This email was sent to list-blm-ca@xxxxxxxxxxx by: U.S. Department of the Interior · 1849 C Street, N.W. · Washington DC 20240 · 202-208-3100 GovDelivery logo