This Week at Interior!

Title: This Week at Interior!
Our weekly recap of events at the U.S. Department of the Interior
This Week at Interior
Secretary Haaland attends ribbon-cutting at Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge

This Week: Secretary Haaland visits Detroit to highlight Interior's efforts to increase equitable public access to outdoor spaces; Deputy Secretary Beaudreau talks drought resilience, water management and infrastructure during a trip to Albuquerque; Interior announces urgent drought response actions that will help prop up Lake Powell; an historic signing ceremony for a project labor agreement between North America’s Building Trades Union and Ørsted North America; more than $10 million provided by the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law will be used for vital repairs and upgrades for Indian Affairs-owned water systems; a solemn event to commemorate National Missing or Murdered Indigenous Persons Awareness Day; the U.S. Geological Survey and Apple team up for a new study on crucial minerals; more than $3 million in grants to preserve sites related to the struggle for equality for all Americans; the Interior Museum re-opens its doors in Washington, D.C.; and we're celebrating the beauty of wildflowers in our social media Picture of the Week!

Watch the Video

Secretary Haaland Highlights Outdoor Access During Detroit Visit

Secretary Haaland with Interior staff at Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge

Secretary Haaland was in Detroit this week, where she toured the Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge and highlighted Interior's efforts to increase equitable public access to outdoor spaces. The Secretary joined Congresswoman Debbie Dingell at a ribbon-cutting ceremony to celebrate the re-opening of the John D. Dingell, Jr. Visitor’s Center.

Read More

Deputy Secretary Beaudreau Highlights Clean Energy, Infrastructure Investments in New Mexico

Deputy Secretary Tommy Beaudreau speaks with Interior employees during Mew Mexico visit

Deputy Secretary Tommy Beaudreau completed a multi-day visit to Albuquerque this week where he met with state, local and Tribal leaders, Interior employees and community members, to highlight the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law’s investments in drought resilience and water management.

Read More

Reclamation Takes Urgent Actions to Boost Lake Powell Water Levels

Lake Powell with low water levels

The Bureau of Reclamation announced two separate urgent drought response actions that will help prop up Lake Powell by nearly 1 million acre-feet of water over the next twelve months – protecting infrastructure and operations at Glen Canyon Dam.

Read More

Historic Labor Agreement Boosts Offshore Wind Energy

An offshore windfarm

Secretary Haaland and Bureau of Ocean Energy Management Director Amanda Lefton delivered remarks at the signing ceremony for a first-of-its-kind project labor agreement between North America’s Building Trades Union and Ørsted North America.

Learn More

Bipartisan Infrastructure Law Invests $10 Million in Tribal Water Systems

Assistant Secretary for Indian Affair Bryan Newland on the banks of the Columbia River in Washington state

Interior this week announced more than $10 million provided by the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law that will be used for vital repairs and upgrades for Indian Affairs-owned water systems.

Read More

National Awareness Day for Missing or Murdered Indigenous Persons

Tribal women wear red and gather to remember those lost to violence

Secretary Haaland and Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco recognized National Missing or Murdered Indigenous Persons Awareness Day with a virtual event to highlight the importance of the Not Invisible Act Commission in the collaborative efforts to address the crisis.

Read More

USGS, Apple Release Joint Study on Crucial Minerals

A large wheeled vehicle carries a load of metal-bearing minerals at a mine site

The U.S. Geological Survey and Apple this week released a new study on how much ore and waste rock must be mined, moved and processed to produce a refined unit of a mineral commodity.

Read More

NPS Awards $3.27 Million in History of Equal Rights Grants

A large, old-fashioned house

The National Park Service this week announced more than $3 million in grants to fund 10 projects in 7 states to preserve sites related to the struggle for equality for all Americans.

Read More

Interior Museum Resumes Public Operations

A person sitting enjoying a large painting

The Interior Museum at the Stewart Lee Udall Building in Washington D.C. reopened this week, welcoming back employees and members of the public.

Learn More

twitter

Tweet of the Week

Secretary Deb Haaland stands and smiles for the camera

Secretary Deb Haaland @SecDebHaaland

This week is Public Service Recognition Week, a time to reflect on service and show appreciation to our workforce. Every day, I’m grateful for our team's dedication to service and honored to call each Interior employee my co-worker.

tweet of the week may 6

2 May

Details |  Retweet

Picture of the Week

a purple flower blooms in the foreground, a lake glacier and mountains are visible in the background

Our social media Picture of the Week, a gorgeous silky phacelia blooming in the majestic landscape of Montana's Glacier National Park. This National Wildflower Week, we celebrate the beauty of those colorful blossoms that bring joy to the heart and soul, while providing a valuable habitat for wildlife and a haven for pollinators.

facebooktwitterinstagramsubscribe

This email was sent to list-blm-ca@xxxxxxxxxxx by: U.S. Department of the Interior · 1849 C Street, N.W. · Washington DC 20240 · 202-208-3100 GovDelivery logo