This Week at Interior!

Title: This Week at Interior!
Our weekly recap of events at the U.S. Department of the Interior
This Week at Interior
 Secretary Haaland joins Senator Lisa Murkowski, Governor Mike Dunleavy, and many others in a visit to King Cove High School

This Week: Secretary Haaland kicks off a week-long visit to Alaska; it's Interior's first ever Equity Action Plan; Interior celebrates Earth Day 2022 with a roadmap for continued renewable energy progress on public lands; the U.S. Geological Survey highlights the contributions of its scientists who work to understand and address climate change; Interior takes part in the "Our Ocean Conference" in the Republic of Palau; it's time for Interior's annual Environmental Achievement Awards; Secretary Haaland joined Veterans Affairs Secretary Denis McDonough this week for a National Park Week salute to the nation's veterans; and the smallest wildlife refuge in the nation's largest state takes our social media Picture of the Week!

Watch the Video

Secretary Haaland Highlights Sustainable Economies in Alaska

Secretary Haaland meets with community leaders in Alaska

Secretary Haaland kicked off a week-long visit to Alaska this week. She’s meeting with Alaska Native leaders and elders; local, state and federal elected officials; and members of the conservation, outdoor recreation and labor communities to discuss sustainable economies, federal investments and infrastructure needs.

Read More

Secretary Haaland Visits King Cove to Listen and Learn

Secretary Haaland joins Senator Lisa Murkowski and Governor Mike Dunleavy in a visit to King Cove High School

While in Alaska, Secretary Haaland, Senator Lisa Murkowski, Governor Mike Dunleavy, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Director Martha Williams and Senior Advisor Raina Thiele visited the community of King Cove. They met with Native leaders, elected officials and community members; visited with healthcare professionals at the King Cove Clinic; and spoke with students at the King Cove School.

Learn More

Interior Action Plan Outlines Efforts to Advance Equity, Remove Barriers

A teleconference at the White House including Secretary Haaland

Interior published its first Equity Action Plan. That plan outlines the Department’s efforts to advance equity through all of its operations, remove barriers to equal opportunity, and deliver resources and benefits equitably to the general public.

Read More

Interior Celebrates Earth Day, Outlines Renewable Energy Roadmap

a close up view of a shrub with a gold sun rising over mountains in the background

Friday, April 22 is Earth Day, a time to renew our collective commitment to protect our planet for current and future generations. This week Interior outlined its roadmap for continued renewable energy progress on public lands, part of the Biden-Harris administration’s goal to permit 25 gigawatts of renewable power on public lands by 2025.

Read More

U.S. Geological Survey Releases Climate Champion Video Series

a view of a coral reef from underneath the waves

In honor of Earth Day, the U.S. Geological Survey released a series of videos this week highlighting eight of the agency’s scientists who work to understand and address climate change. USGS employs 8000 people, each with a unique role to support the mission of providing actionable science about the status of Earth’s natural systems.

Learn More

Interior Promotes Traditional, Community-Led Initiatives for Conservation at Our Ocean Conference

Deputy Assistant Secretary for Insular Affairs Keone Nakoa on stage at the Our Ocean Conference

Deputy Assistant Secretary for Insular Affairs Keone Nakoa took part in the "Our Ocean Conference" in the Republic of Palau. The conference highlighted the importance of collaborating with traditional and community leaders when it comes to natural resources and ocean conservation.

Read More

Interior Recognizes Achievements in Environmental, Cultural Protection

 a field of wildflowers with hills then mountains in the background against a blue sky

Interior this week announced the winners of the Department's annual Environmental Achievement Awards. The awards recognize employees and partners who have made exceptional contributions through projects in eight categories aimed at fostering the protection and preservation of cultural and environmental resources.

Read More

Secretaries Join Forces to Salute American Veterans During National Park Week

pine trees stand on a snow covered ridge above a lake, with  mountains in the distance

Secretary Haaland joined Veterans Affairs Secretary Denis McDonough this week for a National Park Week salute to the nation's veterans at Great Falls Park in Virginia. National Park Week runs through April 24th.

Learn More

twitter

Tweet of the Week

Secretary Deb Haaland stands and smiles for the camera

Secretary Deb Haaland @SecDebHaaland

On #EarthDay, we are celebrating how @POTUS and this administration are taking bold actions to deploy affordable clean energy, reduce climate pollution, and protect our lands for future generations. Together, we're building a better America.

tweet of the week april 22nd

22 April

Details |  Retweet

Picture of the Week

A flock of birds takes flight over water, against the backdrop of a snow covered mountain

Our social media Picture of the Week comes from Alaska’s Izembek National Wildlife Refuge. It's the smallest refuge in the nation's largest state, hosting a quarter-million migratory birds every fall, including the entire world's population of black brants.

facebooktwitterinstagramsubscribe

This email was sent to list-blm-ca@xxxxxxxxxxx by: U.S. Department of the Interior · 1849 C Street, N.W. · Washington DC 20240 · 202-208-3100 GovDelivery logo