This Week at Interior!

Title: This Week at Interior!
Our weekly recap of events at the U.S. Department of the Interior
This Week at Interior
President Biden sits at a table and speaks to a group of people

This week: President Biden gets a historic briefing at the National Interagency Fire Center; Interior strengthens its wildfire-fighting cooperation with Tribal communities; Secretary Haaland joins Vice President Harris at the Flight 93 National Memorial to honor the heroes of September 11th; the Secretary marks the start of Hispanic Heritage Month; the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service distributes $30 million in funding for zoos and aquariums hit hard by the pandemic; Interior salutes the winners of the 2021 Abandoned Mine Lands Reclamation Awards; the Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge hosts a day of service for volunteers from the Oregon Chinese Coalition; and an explosion of wildflowers is featured in our social media Picture of the Week!

Watch the Video

President Biden Makes History at the National Interagency Fire Center

President Biden sits at a table

President Biden this week became the first President to visit the National Interagency Fire Center in Boise, Idaho. He discussed responses to severe wildfires and ways we can make our nation more resilient to climate change and extreme weather. The President called global warming – which contributes to dangerous wildfire conditions across the western United States – a serious and consequential problem.

Watch the Briefing

Interior Department and Intertribal Timber Council Strengthen Wildland Fire Management Collaboration

A wildfire burns through a forest at night

Interior’s Office of Wildland Fire strengthened its collaboration with the Intertribal Timber Council this week, as climate change propels wildfires that are larger, costlier and more complex. About six and a half million acres of Interior-managed land sits in close proximity to Tribal lands.

Read More

Vice President Harris, Secretary Haaland Mark 20th Anniversary of 9/11 at Flight 93 National Memorial

A group of people wearing masks sit in chairs at a somber event

The names of the passengers and crew of United Flight 93 were remembered this week as the nation marked the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks. Secretary Haaland joined Vice President Harris and former President Bush at a ceremony in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, to honor their memories, and all of the victims of September 11th. "We are gathered today on hallowed ground, at this place, which has been sanctified by sacrifice, to honor the heroism that the 40 passengers and crew showed in the face of grave terrorism," said Vice President Harris. "We remember the heroes who made the ultimate sacrifice to save others," said Secretary Haaland. "We honor their families, and we recognize the selfless patriotism they demonstrated on that September morning 20 years ago."

Read More

Secretary Haaland Salutes Hispanic Heritage Month

Secretary Haaland stands and gives a speech

Secretary Haaland saluted the start of Hispanic Heritage Month, which recognizes and celebrates the countless contributions and diverse cultures of Hispanic Americans. "I come from New Mexico, a place where Hispanic families have a special connection to the land, and where their ceremonies, cultures and community are celebrated throughout the year," she said. "We all benefit from the Hispanic community’s deep connection to America’s lands. It is part of the mosaic that makes our country so unique."

Read More

Zoos, Aquariums Getting COVID-19 Relief from USFWS

A giraffe looks forward

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is collaborating with the Association of Zoos and Aquariums to distribute $30 million in funding to animal and plant care facilities that experienced revenue losses of 25% or more due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The funding was appropriated to the Service through the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021.

Read More

Secretary Haaland Salutes 2021 Abandoned Mine Lands Reclamation Award Recipients

A large open mine is devoid of any vegetation. Working vehicles are seen in the background

Secretary Haaland this week congratulated the 2021 Abandoned Mine Lands Reclamation Award recipients in a virtual ceremony. Those awards represent the nation’s highest achievements in abandoned mine land reclamation, demonstrating innovative techniques and outstanding results in restoring lands mined and left un-reclaimed prior to 1977.

Watch the Ceremony

Day of Service for Volunteers at Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge

Two people wearing masks pick vegetation in the outdoors

September 11th was a day of service at the Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge for volunteers from the Oregon Chinese Coalition. The community workday was part of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s efforts to advance racial equity by providing wildlife related education and recreation opportunities to underserved communities, particularly in urban areas.

Read More

twitter

Tweet of the Week

Secretary Deb Haaland poses while smiling

 Secretary Deb Haaland @SecDebHaaland

 Tribes know their communities best and should have the power to

 administer resources to their people to practice self-governance. I

 discussed the Biden-Harris administration's commitments to Tribes

 during the Tribal Self-Governance Conference in conversation with

 Chairman Allen.

Secretary Haaland sits and talks with another person

15 Sep

Details |  Retweet

Picture of the Week

Millions of yellow sunflowers surround a giant group of sand dunes

August created an incredible bloom of yellow prairie sunflowers that surrounded the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve in Colorado. Photo by Patrick Myers, NPS

facebooktwitterinstagramsubscribe

This email was sent to list-blm-ca@xxxxxxxxxxx by: U.S. Department of the Interior · 1849 C Street, N.W. · Washington DC 20240 · 202-208-3100 GovDelivery logo