This Week at Interior!

Title: This Week at Interior!
Our weekly recap of events at the U.S. Department of the Interior
This Week at Interior
A spotty wild cat looks intently ahead

This week: Secretary Haaland announces the establishment of a new departmental law enforcement task force; the Secretary travels back to her ancestral homelands in New Mexico as part of President Biden’s "America’s Back Together" tour; honoring Interior's responder community and their families on Independence Day; a new report from USGS scales down the potential effect of a landslide-generated tsunami in Alaska's Prince William Sound; Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge in Texas is about to get 5,000 acres bigger; and a midnight sun shines in our social media Picture of the Week!

Watch the Video

Secretary Haaland Announces New Law Enforcement Task Force

A law enforcement officer looks through binocs

Secretary Haaland this week announced the establishment of a new departmental law enforcement task force to implement the highest standards for protecting the public and provide necessary policy guidance, resources, and training to agency personnel. With a focus on equity and evidence-based decision making, the task force will review and identify opportunities for improvement in the law enforcement programs of the National Park Service, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Bureau of Reclamation, the Bureau of Land Management and the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

Read More

Secretary Haaland Visits New Mexico on "America’s Back Together" Tour

A group of people stand in an ancient set of pueblo ruins as a park ranger talks to them

Secretary Haaland traveled to her home state of New Mexico this week as part of President Biden’s "America’s Back Together" tour. The Secretary visited Pecos National Historical Park, which is her ancestral homeland on her maternal grandfather’s side. While at the park, she toured the Pecos people’s traditional sites, rolled up her sleeves for a restoration project and was briefed by local park officials. "I'm so grateful for the National Park Service staff who put love and care into this place every single day, who rebuild the walls of the church and the convento, and who tackle the invasive species here," Secretary Haaland said. "I'm very grateful that we have tremendous caretakers and stewards of this beautiful land."

Read More

Interior Leaders Thank DOI Responders and Families at July 4th Celebration

A group of people stand on the roof of the Interior building during the 4th of July

Secretary Haaland and Deputy Secretary Tommy Beaudreau hosted members of Interior's responder community and their families on July 4th, to thank them for everything they do and continue to do for the communities the department serves.

Read More

New USGS Report Scales Down Alaska Tsunami Effect for Potential Landslide

An overhead view of a landslide in Alaska

A new report this week from the U.S. Geological Survey scales down the potential effect of a landslide-generated tsunami in Alaska's Prince William Sound. Current estimates now place maximum wave height at up to seven feet, which is far less than the 30-foot high wave that was previously assessed in a worst-case scenario. The new USGS study draws upon two recent partner datasets that allowed researchers to better predict what might happen if the landslide were to enter the Barry Arm fjord.

Read More

FWS Announces Expansion of Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge

Plants in a desert environment with a bright sun in the sky

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service this week announced the addition of nearly 5,000 acres to the Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge in Texas, the largest protected area of natural habitat left in the Lower Rio Grande Valley. The acquisition will help connect critical migration corridors for the endangered ocelot and add to coastal habitat for other wildlife, while promoting climate resiliency and recreational and economic opportunities. It also helps advance the goals of the America the Beautiful initiative to support locally led conservation that enhances important wildlife habitat and improves outdoor recreation.

Read More

twitter

Tweet of the Week

BLM Logo

 Bureau of Land Management Fire @BLMFire

 Today is the 27th anniversary, of the #SouthCanyonFire, that took

 the lives of 14 firefighters. We use this solemn day to remember

 that instance as we culminate the #WeekofRemembrance in honor

 of all who have perished in the line of duty. #NeverForgotten

 #WOR2021

Old black and white photos of fire fighters who were killed in a wildfire

 6 Jul

Details |  Retweet

Picture of the Week

A pink hazy sky hangs above a blue ice glacier in Alaska

A pink hazy sky with a low sun hangs above a blue colored glacial ice at Kenai Fjords National Park in Alaska. Photo by Angela Feldhaus.

facebooktwitterinstagramsubscribe

This email was sent to list-blm-ca@xxxxxxxxxxx by: U.S. Department of the Interior · 1849 C Street, N.W. · Washington DC 20240 · 202-208-3100 GovDelivery logo