This Week at Interior!

Title: This Week at Interior!
Our weekly recap of events at the U.S. Department of the Interior
This Week at Interior
Three tribal graduates pose for a graduation photo

This Week: Secretary Haaland congratulates the Tribal graduates of the Class of 2021; the Secretary travels to Maine to highlight the Biden-Harris administration’s investments in public lands and national parks; for the first time ever the LGBTQ+ Pride flag flies over Interior; the Secretary testifies on Capitol Hill on the Administration's Fiscal Year 2022 budget proposal; it's the first meeting of a new task force examining offshore wind energy in the Gulf of Mexico; the Fish and Wildlife Service identifies 269 bird species to watch with an eye toward conservation; the National Park Service awards grants to preserve, research, and interpret sites along the Underground Railroad; and our social media Picture of the Week sets its sights on the stars!

Watch the Video

Secretary Haaland Salutes the Tribal Graduates of the Class of 2021

A tribal student sits at their desk and does homework

Secretary Haaland this week congratulated the Tribal graduates of the Class of 2021. Students this year faced an unprecedented pandemic and economic crisis, but carried on to finish their studies and earn their diplomas. The Secretary was joined by other Interior leaders and Indigenous speakers in applauding the graduates, and the schools, educators, families and communities who supported them. "You graduate at a time in history when our world is  facing  enormous challenges, but also at a time when the opportunities created by those challenges have never been greater," Secretary Haaland said. "You have the power to bring solutions to climate change, to develop clean energy resources, to actively engage efforts to strengthen Tribal sovereignty, and the protection and advocacy for our sacred sites. You are the keeper of our traditions. You are the answer to our ancestors’ prayers. I cannot commend you enough."

Watch the Video

Secretary Haaland Promotes Local Jobs, Economies During Maine Visit

Secretary Haaland sits in a boat with two other people

Secretary Haaland headed north to Maine this week, meeting with Tribal leaders, elected officials, and other stakeholders. The Secretary highlighted the Biden-Harris administration’s significant investments in public lands and national parks, which will create jobs, help modernize parks and park infrastructure, and strengthen conservation.

Read More

Secretary Haaland Raises First LGBTQ+ Flag Over Interior

Secretary Haaland helps two other people raise the Pride Month flag

Another historic first for Secretary Haaland and Interior this week, raising the first Pride flag to ever fly over Interior, to mark LGBTQ+ Pride Month. The Secretary has said Interior is committed to telling the rich, diverse story of America and lifting up underrepresented peoples and communities, and that despite many hard-fought victories, there is still a long way to go to ensure full liberation, peace, and equality for the LGBTQ+ community.

Read More

Secretary Haaland Testifies Before Senate Subcommittee on FY 2022 Budget

Secretary Haaland sits behind a desk as she testifies before the Senate

Secretary Haaland testified this week before the Senate Interior Appropriations Subcommittee on the Biden-Harris administration's proposed Fiscal Year 2022 budget. Under that proposal Interior’s budget could increase to $17.6 billion, a 17% increase over last year. That's an investment that will help the Department address the climate crisis, restore balance on public lands and waters, infuse critical resources in Indian Country, advance environmental justice, and build a clean energy future.

Read More

BOEM Hosts First Task Force Meeting on Gulf Wind Energy

Wind turbines with a blue sky above

The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management this week hosted the first meeting of the Gulf of Mexico Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Task Force. The task force brings together federal, state, local, and Tribal government representatives to coordinate and share information on exciting and newly-proposed offshore renewable energy-related activities in federal waters in the Gulf of Mexico.

Read More

FWS Conservation Report Identifies 269 Bird Species of Concern

Two dark brown birds snuggle on a nest

A new report from the Fish and Wildlife Service this week identifies 269 bird species of concern when it comes to conservation. The report will be used by international, federal, state, Tribal, and private partners for research, monitoring, and management to help prevent the need for listing under the Endangered Species Act.

Read More

NPS Announces $180K in Underground Railroad "Network to Freedom" Grants

A map of the Underground Railroad routes

The National Park Service this week announced $180,000 in grants from its National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom Program. Twenty network members will receive up to $10,000 each for projects that enhance the preservation, interpretation, and research of the Underground Railroad. The Railroad helped free thousands of African Americans from enslavement in the years leading up to the Civil War. The announcement came as the nation honored Juneteenth on Saturday June 19th, which commemorates the end of slavery in the United States.

Read More

twitter

Tweet of the Week

Secretary Haaland wears a mask and points

 Secretary Deb Haaland @SecDebHaaland

 My father’s family came to this country as immigrants. During

 #immigrantheritagemonth we celebrate the diverse tapestry that

 makes our communities and our families special -- they all add to

 the full story of America.

Tweet of the Week

15 Jun

Details |  Retweet

Picture of the Week

A dark night sky with millions of stars above

A night sky Milky Way view from a desert mud flat at Carrizo Plain National Monument. Photo by Jesse Pluim, Bureau of Land Management

facebooktwitterinstagramsubscribe

This email was sent to list-blm-ca@xxxxxxxxxxx by: U.S. Department of the Interior · 1849 C Street, N.W. · Washington DC 20240 · 202-208-3100 GovDelivery logo