In New Op-Ed, Secretary Deb Haaland Shares Her Family’s Experience with Boarding Schools, And How America Can Address This Dark History

Title: In New Op-Ed, Secretary Deb Haaland Shares Her Family’s Experience with Boarding Schools, And How America Can Address This Dark History
This piece comes as the world learns of the discovery of the remains of 215 Indigenous children at a former Canadian boarding school.

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

U.S. Department of the Interior

In a new op-ed for The Washington Post, Secretary of the Interior Deb Haaland shares a powerful personal story about the experience that her grandparents faced as they were stolen from their families as children and sent to boarding schools. Secretary Haaland also notes the steps we need to take — including robust Tribal consultation and upholding federal trust and treaty responsibilities — to seek justice and healing for Indigenous communities.

This piece comes as the world learns of the discovery of the remains of 215 Indigenous children at a former Canadian boarding school.

“My family’s story is not unlike that of many other Native American families in this country. We have a generation of lost or injured children who are now the lost or injured aunts, uncles, parents and grandparents of those who live today,” Secretary Haaland writes. “Though it is uncomfortable to learn that the country you love is capable of committing such acts, the first step to justice is acknowledging these painful truths and gaining a full understanding of their impacts so that we can unravel the threads of trauma and injustice that linger. We have a long road of healing ahead of us, but together with tribal nations, I am sure that we can work together for a future that we will all be proud to embrace.”

Opinion: Deb Haaland: My grandparents were stolen from their families as children. We must learn about this history.

###

Firstname Lastname | U.S. Department of the Interior | (555) 555-5555

FacebookTwitterInstagramYoutube

This email was sent to list-blm-ca@xxxxxxxxxxx by: U.S. Department of the Interior · 1849 C Street, N.W. · Washington DC 20240 · 202-208-3100 GovDelivery logo