This Week at Interior!

Title: This Week at Interior!
Our weekly recap of events at the U.S. Department of the Interior
This Week at Interior
Secretary stands in front of the Stonewall Inn

This Week: Kicking off LGBTQ+ Pride Month at Stonewall National Monument in New York City; President Biden's proposed FY 2022 budget could spell a 17% increase for Interior; nearly $3 billion announced to support local economies, outdoor recreation, and access to public lands under the Great American Outdoors Act; the National Park Service's new History of Equal Rights grant program means restoration is on the way for six key sites; USGS is ready for duty as the 2021 Atlantic Hurricane Season starts; and it's sun, sand, and sea turtles in our social media Picture of the Week!

Watch the Video

Celebrating LGTBQ+ Pride at Stonewall National Monument

Secretary Haaland talks with park rangers

Secretary Haaland helped kick off a month-long celebration of LGBTQ+ Pride this week with a visit to the Stonewall National Monument in New York City. The June 1969 Stonewall Uprising was a milestone in the quest for LGBTQ civil rights and is regarded as the beginning of the modern equal rights movement. “This special place has so much resonance for the LQBTQ+ community, not just in New York but throughout America," the Secretary said. "For me, Stonewall is the beginning, but together I know we can do more to create a more inclusive and diverse story of who we are and who we want to be.” The Stonewall Inn and nearby Christopher Park were designated as a national monument by President Obama in 2016.

Read More

Interior Could See 17% Increase in FY 2022 Budget

A lake is surrounded by snowy mountains

Interior’s budget could increase by more than $2.5 billion under the Fiscal Year 2022 budget proposal submitted to Congress by the Biden-Harris Administration. Interior’s request of $17.6 billion represents a 17% increase over last year, an investment that will help the Department address the climate crisis, restore balance on public lands and waters, infuse critical resources in Indian Country, advance environmental justice, and build a clean energy future.

Read More

DOI, USDA Announce FY 2022 Projects Under Great American Outdoors Act

Kayakers travel across a blue lake

Interior joined the Department of Agriculture this week to announce the list of fiscal year 2022 projects to be funded under the Great American Outdoors Act. More than $2.8 billion in projects, grants, and programs will support economies, outdoor recreation, and access to public lands. These investments will create tens of thousands of jobs, safeguard the environment, and help ensure that national parks and public lands are ready to meet the challenges of climate change and increased visitation.

Read More

NPS Awards $2.4 Million for Sites Under New History of Equal Rights Grant Program

An old black and white photo of people

The National Park Service this week announced $2.4 million in grants to fund six projects in six states under the new History of Equal Rights grant program. That program supports the rehabilitation and restoration of sites like Paulsdale, the childhood home of Alice Paul in Mount Laurel, New Jersey. She was a significant leader in the women’s suffrage movement. Another site is Miami’s Ace Theater. That was a prominent venue for movies, graduations, proms, boxing matches, and concerts for the Black community during the period of segregation.

Read More

USGS Stands Ready To Provide Science for 2021 Atlantic Hurricane Response

A USGS scientist takes samples near the coast

The 2021 Atlantic Hurricane Season started June 1st and runs through November 30th, and the U.S. Geological Survey stands ready to provide science to help protect lives and property. When a major storm threatens to make landfall in the U.S. or its territories, USGS provides scientific capabilities and information that decision-makers, emergency responders, and communities can use to help them prepare, cope with and recover from a storm.

Read More

twitter

Tweet of the Week

Secretary Haaland wears a mask and points

 Secretary Deb Haaland @SecDebHaaland

 Kids shouldn't have to sit outside libraries, fast food places, or

 other public spaces to use the wi-fi for homework. We have a

 responsibility to build infrastructure that will fuel economic

 development, keep families safe, and ensure everyone has

 opportunities to succeed.

Text from a Kamala Harris Tweet that says "Tune in as I speak on the importance of investing in broadband infrastructure"

 3 June

Details |  Retweet

Picture of the Week

Four turtles bask on the beach next to the ocean

June is Ocean Month! Four turtles bask on the beach next to the ocean at Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument. Photo by Dan Clark, US Fish and Wildlife Service.

facebooktwitterinstagramsubscribe

This email was sent to list-blm-ca@xxxxxxxxxxx by: U.S. Department of the Interior · 1849 C Street, N.W. · Washington DC 20240 · 202-208-3100 GovDelivery logo