This Week at Interior!

Title: This Week at Interior!
Our weekly recap of events at the U.S. Department of the Interior
This Week at Interior
Trees and a rocky ridge surround a lake

This Week: Interior takes several steps to honor our nation-to-nation relationship with Tribes and uphold the Department's trust and treaty responsibilities; Secretary Haaland joins the Second Gentleman of the United States Douglas Emhoff to announce sixteen additions to the National Park Service’s National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom Program; another wind energy facility may be coming to the waters off New England; a live streaming cam allows viewers to get up close and personal with an endangered California condor chick; new research from the Bureau of Land Management says the most ferocious dinosaur of all may have hunted in packs; and a prowling Florida bobcat makes for a purrfect Picture of the Week!

Watch the Video

Interior Takes Steps to Restore Tribal Homelands

Tribal flags lined up down a hallway

Interior this week took several steps to honor our nation-to-nation relationship with Tribes and uphold the Department's trust and treaty responsibilities. Federal policies dating back more than a century have eroded the land base of Indian Tribes across the United States. By placing lands into trust status through the Department of the Interior, Tribes are able to reacquire lands within or near their reservations, establish a land base for Tribal communities and clarify jurisdiction over their lands.

Read More

Sixteen Sites Added to Underground Railroad Network to Freedom Program

Secretary Haaland and the Second Gentleman address a park ranger on a large television screen

Secretary Haaland joined the Second Gentleman of the United States Douglas Emhoff to mark National Park Week, and to announce sixteen additions to the National Park Service’s National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom Program. They join nearly 700 other sites, programs, and facilities in the network that honor, preserve, and promote the history of resistance to enslavement through escape and flight.

Read More

BOEM Will Prepare Environmental Impact Statement for Revolution Wind Project

A close up view of an offshore wind turbine

The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management this week announced it will prepare an Environmental Impact Statement for the Construction and Operations Plan submitted by Revolution Wind. If approved by BOEM, Revolution Wind would be allowed to construct and operate an 880 megawatt wind energy facility offshore Rhode Island and Massachusetts.

Read More

Watch Streaming Video of California Cliff-side Nest on the "Condor Cam"

A California condor seen through a lens

For the sixth year, people from around the globe can get up-close-and-personal with an endangered California condor chick in real-time.  The newest chick hatched earlier this month...its parents are a ten-year old female and fifteen-year old male. Thanks to intensive, ongoing captive breeding and recovery efforts led by the Fish and Wildlife Service and its partners, the California condor population has grown to just over 500 birds worldwide. In 1982 there were only 22 birds in the wild.

Read More

BLM Uncovers New Evidence of T-Rex Hunting Behavior

The head of a large tyrannosaurs dinosaur

The Tyrannosaurus Rex has been extinct for 65 million years, but we're still learning new facts about history’s most fearsome predator...and it turns out they may have been even scarier than we imagine. The Bureau of Land Management says new research from Utah's Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument reveals T-Rex may not have been a solitary predator, but instead hunted in packs, much like modern wolves. You can find out more, and get a virtual tour of the monument's paleontology lab, at "utahpubliclands" on Instagram.

Read More

twitter

Tweet of the Week

Secretary Haaland wears a mask and points

Secretary Deb Haaland @SecDebHaaland

Any opportunity to share more about the amazing work being done at @Interior to restore balance to our public lands and strengthen our government-to-government relationship with Tribal Nations is a welcome one.

Thank you, @PressSec for having me!

Photo: White House/Carlos Fyfe

Secretary Haaland stands at a briefing podium and addresses reporters

26 Apr

Details |  Retweet

Picture of the Week

A bobcat enters the water of a grassy marsh

A bobcat at Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge enters a grassy marsh. Pic by Rob Sabatini (sharetheexperience.org)

facebooktwitterinstagramsubscribe

This email was sent to list-blm-ca@xxxxxxxxxxx by: U.S. Department of the Interior · 1849 C Street, N.W. · Washington DC 20240 · 202-208-3100 GovDelivery logo