Statement from Secretary Haaland Condemning Violence Against AAPI Community

Title: Statement from Secretary Haaland Condemning Violence Against AAPI Community

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

US Department of the Interior News Release

Date: Thursday, March 18, 2021
Contact: Interior_Press@xxxxxxxxxxx

Statement from Secretary Haaland Condemning Violence Against AAPI Community

WASHINGTON – In response to increased violence committed against the Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) community, including the tragic shootings in Atlanta, Georgia, Interior Secretary Deb Haaland released the following statement:

“My heart goes out to the members of the Asian American and Pacific Islander community as they cope with unspeakable pain from ongoing acts of violence that target their community, including this week’s tragic killings in Atlanta, Georgia. While anti-Asian hate is unfortunately not new, we must acknowledge how xenophobic rhetoric throughout the pandemic has further inflamed anti-Asian racism, misogyny, and violence. The scale and frequency of targeted violence against communities of color is unacceptable and serves as a grim reminder that our long march toward peace and liberation persists. On behalf of the entire Interior Department, I send my deepest condolences to those who have lost loved ones in these tragic acts of senseless, hate-filled attacks.”

###

U.S. Department of the Interior | 1849 C Street NW, Washington, DC

FacebookTwitterInstagramYoutube

This email was sent to list-blm-ca@xxxxxxxxxxx by: U.S. Department of the Interior · 1849 C Street, N.W. · Washington DC 20240 · 202-208-3100 GovDelivery logo