BLM California News.Bytes Issue 793

Title: Your Public Lands, BLM's E-Newsletter

Merced Wild and Scenic River
ISSUE 793 - FEBRUARY 1, 2018

- New Year New Adventures
- Headlines and Highlights
- BLM and DOI Highlights
- Wildlife Question of the Week
- Upcoming Events

NEW YEAR NEW ADVENTURES

#FindYourWay on BLM-Managed Rivers

Our #NewYearNewAdventures series continues! In anticipation of the 50th anniversary of the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act later this fall, we are sharing some of our favorite rivers across BLM-managed public lands! These rivers are the perfect places to cast a line, test your whitewater skills or relax on a slow-moving current. We hope you add a few of these places to your 2018 bucket lists! (My Public Lands Tumblr)

Play #DesertAvicaching

The new year means a chance for citizen scientists to contribute to our understanding of how birds use the desert. If you enjoy watching birds in the California desert, your observations could help BLM manage our feathered friends. BLM is funding a project spearheaded by Point Blue Conservation Science and the Great Basin Bird Observatory to create #DesertAvicashing sites throughout southern California. What is Avicashing? Avicashing is a process where birdwatchers search specific locations to spot as many birds as possible. (BLM California Facebook)

Grand Canyon of the Mojave

Make plans in 2018 to explore the Grand Canyon of the Mojave – Afton Canyon! BLM's Barstow Field Office manages a campground on the west side of the canyon and a high-clearance 4x4 route providing breathtaking views from the bottom of the canyon. Afton Canyon has something for everyone - beautiful geology, endless hiking opportunities (including caves and slot canyons!), bighorn sheep hunting, off-highway vehicle routes, camping and history. (BLM California Facebook)

HEADLINES AND HIGHLIGHTS

Thanking Our Heroes

"This past holiday season was like no other for me. For two weeks I was asked to serve as a Resource Advisor on the Thomas Fire in Southern California. While on the incident, the Thomas Fire became the largest fire in California history and it proved to be the toughest fire assignment of my career. Seeing and walking along mountain ridge after mountain ridge, once covered in green vegetation and now burned black gave me plenty to think about each day on the fireline. On the final night of my assignment, a chance encounter proved to be the biggest challenge of all and humbled me to my core." (BLM California Facebook)

Oil and Gas Operator Seminar

Around 200 industry representatives are participating in an oil and gas operator seminar hosted by the BLM Bakersfield Field Office that focuses on surface and environmental requirements associated with new oil and gas projects (Applications for Permit to Drill and Sundry Notices). On average, the BLM is able to permit APDs in a 30-45 day period, due to assistance from operators in getting needed information to the BLM in a timely manner. The seminar is a refresher on the information the BLM needs to perform biological, cultural and paleontology reviews to ensure a quick turn around when new permits are submitted. (BLM website)

Related: BLM Oil and Gas Lease Sales Generate $360 Million in 2017 (BLM news release)

BLM Eagle Lake Field Office Seeks Public Comments on OHV Grant Proposal

The Bureau of Land Management’s Eagle Lake Field Office is accepting public input on management needs and projects that would benefit off-highway vehicle recreation on public lands. Public comments or suggestions submitted to the Eagle Lake Field Office before Friday, Feb. 23, will be used to develop a preliminary grant application to the California State Parks, Off Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Division. (BLM news release)

BLM Planning Pile-Burning Projects in Northern California, Northwest Nevada

Fire crews from the Bureau of Land Management will conduct prescribed burning projects in Modoc, Siskiyou, and Lassen counties, California, and in Washoe County, Nevada, during winter and early spring. These projects will involve burning piles of brush and limbs created during projects to reduce wildfire danger and to improve wildlife habitat. (BLM news release)

Interagency Fire Crews Plan Pile Burning in Bridgeport Valley

Interagency fire crews with the Bureau of Land Management Bishop Field Office and the Inyo National Forest will be conducting pile burning operations this week in Bridgeport Valley, Mono County, as weather and air quality conditions allow. Slash piles, composed of limbs, branches and downed trees, will be burned on approximately 240 acres of BLM-managed public land in the Lower Summers Meadow Unit of Green Creek and Bridgeport Valley, west of Highway 395 southwest of Bridgeport. (BLM news release)

Not Your Ordinary Job: Apply to be a Wildland Firefighter TODAY

Do you enjoy the outdoors? Looking for adventurous career? Want a job that challenges you physically? A wildland firefighting job might be for you! Wildland firefighters often travel to remote locations, many that are rarely seen by most people. (My Public Lands Tumblr)

Related: Current BLM California Fire Jobs (BLM California Facebook video)

BLM Bakersfield Seeks Public Input on Direct Land Sale to Arc Vineyards

The Bureau of Land Management Bakersfield Field Office is publishing a Notice of Realty Action that opens a 45-day public comment period on a proposal to sell 5.93 acres near Santa Maria, California, to Arc Vineyards LLC, for fair market value. The BLM welcomes and values diverse views. To be most helpful, written comments are requested by Monday, Feb. 5. (BLM news release)

BLM Extending Scoping Period for Case Mountain Forest Health Plan

The Bureau of Land Management Bakersfield Field Office is extending the scoping period on the development of a vegetation and forest health plan for the Bureau’s giant sequoia groves on Case Mountain, southeast of Three Rivers. Public comments will be accepted until Friday, Feb. 2. (BLM news release)
BLM AND DOI HIGHLIGHTS

Secretary Zinke Responds to President Trump's State of the Union

The following statement is from U.S. Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke in response to President Donald J. Trump's State of the Union Address.

"President Trump spoke from the heart about issues that unite all Americans like rebuilding our infrastructure, improving education, growing the economy, and honoring our veterans and first responders. Already we have seen the President's policies and tax reform spark greater investments in our energy sector, from the coalmines of Appalachia to the oil fields of the Permian Basin, managed by the Bureau of Land Management. Interior stands ready to support the President's mission to unite and rebuild our great Nation." (DOI news release)

America’s Public Lands are the Perfect Backdrop to a Great Love Story

The Department of Interior is getting ready for our annual Valentine’s Day video, and we need your help. Please send your videos and photos of your weddings, proposals and special moments with your significant other in national parks, wildlife refuges and other public lands to newmedia@xxxxxxxxxxx. Please remove watermarks, list the location and submit videos and photos no later than Monday, February 5, for a chance to be in our special Valentine’s Day video.

Related: The Sweetest Valentine's Day video you'll see today (2017 DOI YouTube video)

BLM and Forest Service Announce 2018 Grazing Fees

The Federal grazing fee for 2018 will be $1.41 per animal unit month (AUM) for public lands administered by the Bureau of Land Management and $1.41 per head month (HM) for lands managed by the USDA Forest Service.  The 2017 public land grazing fee was $1.87. (BLM news release)

Homeward Bound: America’s Wild Horses Arrive in Germany

Oregon wild horses live in some of the most remote places in America. From the quiet, desolate range where they were born, it is hard to imagine that these symbols of the West would one day be sold for thousands of dollars, sent on a 9-hour-long international flight and finally be performing in a packed stadium. Lena Walter was one of the approximately 15,000 people to attend the first German Mustang Makeover last summer. “I just fell in love,” said Walter via telephone from Rackettown Mustangs last fall, where she was choosing her own Oregon wild horse to adopt. (BLM Oregon Facebook)
WILDLIFE QUESTION OF THE WEEK

True or False? A mallard’s bill is as sensitive as your fingertips.

Keep reading for answer below.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Now - February 10: BLM Ukiah Field Office Offering Guided Bald Eagle Hikes

BLM's Ukiah Field Office will be offering free, five-mile guided hikes to look for wintering bald eagles in the Cache Creek Natural Area in Lake County. The hikes will begin at 10 am every Saturday from January 6 through February 10. (BLM news release)

Now - April 30: Santa Rosa and San Jacinto Mountains National Monument Announces Winter Visitor Center Schedule

As the Coachella Valley begins to move into the winter months, the Santa Rosa and San Jacinto Mountains National Monument Visitor Center will initiate its winter visitor center schedule. From October 1 to April 30, 2018, the visitor center will be open five days a week from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Thursday to Monday, and close on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. (BLM news release)

2018: Wild Horse and Burro Adoption Events

The BLM offers wild horses and burros for adoption or purchase at events across the country throughout the year. Upcoming wild horse and burro adoption events are planned into 2018. The most current adoption and purchase event schedule is provided on the BLM website. All times are in local time. Event information is shown in local time and subject to change without notice. Please call the Wild Horse and Burro Information Call Center at (866) 468-7826 for the most updated information. (BLM website)

February 2-10: BLM Issues Temporary Closure for King of the Hammers Race

The Bureau of Land Management is issuing a temporary land closure for select public lands at the Johnson Valley Off-Highway Vehicle Recreation Area in San Bernardino County to accommodate the annual King of the Hammers race Feb. 2-10, 2018. (BLM news release)

February 6: Public Meeting Set for BLM Fuel Breaks and Restoration Environmental Impact Statements

The Bureau of Land Management will hold a public meeting in Susanville to gather input for the preparation of two programmatic environmental impact statements aimed at reducing wildfires and restoring sagebrush habitat.  The meeting is Tuesday, Feb. 6, from 5 to 7 p.m., at the BLM Eagle Lake Field Office, 2550 Riverside Dr. (BLM news release)

February 6 and 7: Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Wild and Scenic River Act

On Feb. 6, BLM's Palm Springs-South Coast Field Office is hosting a 50th anniversary of the Wild and Scenic River Act get together at the BLM office, 1201 Bird Center Drive, Palm Springs. Join the BLM for coffee and a slideshow from 3 to 4 p.m.

On Feb 7, BLM's Palm Springs-South Coast Field Office is holding a 50th anniversary of the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act 10-mile guided hike from Palm Canyon Creek from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. The Palm Canyon hike into scenic foothills is a moderate to strenuous hike where the final destination is a portion of Palm Canyon Creek Wild and Scenic River. Bring water, lunch, sun protection and a camera. An entrance fee is required to Indian Canyons, meet at the Trading Post parking. Please RSVP at desertmountains.org by Feb. 5. For questions, contact Tracy Albrecht at (703) 833-7127.

February 7, 8, 13 and 23: BLM Reschedules OHV Grant Proposals' Public Meetings

The Bureau of Land Management has rescheduled public meetings to provide input in the development of off-highway vehicle grant proposals for submission to the California State Parks, Off Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Division. Proposed grant applications are currently being prepared by the BLM for the FY 2017-18 grant cycle. (BLM news release

- Wednesday, Feb. 7, from 4:30 to 6 p.m. in Palm Springs, CA
- Wednesday, Feb 7, from 5 to 6 p.m. in Ridgecrest, CA
- Thursday, Feb. 8, from 5 to 8 p.m. in Needles, CA
- Tuesday, Feb. 13, from 4:30 to 6 p.m. in Barstow, CA
- Friday, Feb 23, from noon to 2:30 p.m. in El Centro, CA

WILDLIFE QUESTION OF THE WEEK ANSWER
True. A mallard’s bill is as sensitive as your fingertips, which helps it forage for underwater plants and insects. (USFWS Migratory Bird Program)

News.Bytes is a publication of the Bureau of Land Management California.

Bureau of Land Management
California State Office
2800 Cottage Way, Suite W1623
Sacramento, Ca 95825