BLM California News.Bytes Issue 786

Title: Your Public Lands, BLM's E-Newsletter

Rainbow Basin Natural Area
ISSUE 785 - NOVEMBER 30, 2017

- 2017 Planner
- From the Field
- Native American Heritage Month

- Headlines and Highlights
- BLM and DOI Highlights
- Wildlife Question of the Week
- Upcoming Events

2017 PLANNER

Get Your 2017 California Public Lands Planner

Complete the form on the BLM website to receive your FREE monthly planner. Hurry while supplies last. Please limit one planner per person. (BLM website)

FROM THE FIELD

Sharing a Hunting Tradition

For 27 years, BLM's Redding Field Office, California Department of Fish and Wildlife and the Shasta County Sportsman's Association have partnered to provide a hunting opportunity for youth and women to experience America’s Great Outdoors. Each year, the annual pheasant hunt takes place at the Sacramento River Bend Outstanding Natural Area. Hunters are able to learn safe hunting techniques while enjoying traditional pheasant hunting. (BLM California Facebook)

Where Cattle Graze and Salamanders Roam

Amidst the rolling grasslands and oak woodlands of Santa Clara and San Benito counties lies Sparling Ranch, just outside the small town of Hollister, California. On warm summer days, herds of cattle graze and rest on the sloping hillsides. During nighttime winter rains, small, brightly-colored amphibians called California tiger salamanders leave the protection of ground squirrel burrows to make the trek to stock-ponds that dot the landscape. There, they breed with their mates and keep company with another rare amphibian, the California red-legged frog. As their names suggest, both species are endemic to California, and both are protected under the Endangered Species Act. (USFWS blog)

Opening Day

It felt like Christmas morning. About a hundred adults and children rose early to stand outside a government building and wait to hear their number. For many, it is yearly routine.  For some, it is a new experience. It was cold, dark, and people were anxiously checking their clocks. As the clock hands arrived at 3:45 a.m., the announcer began calling numbers over the faint speaker. One-by-one, folks donning camouflage walked to the front of the building, selected a blind (a cover device for hunters reduces the chance of detection) and headed out for the season’s first hunt on the Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge near Willows, California. (USFWS blog)

Recap from 5th Annual Youth Summit

The California Youth Summit is designed to connect young people with America’s Great Outdoors. Gain a new appreciation for natural resources. Learn something new. Catch a vision for higher education. Discover exciting ways to get outside or make a career involving public lands. (BLM California Facebook video)

NATIVE AMERICAN HERITAGE MONTH

Preserving a Language: BLMer Teaches Shoshone to a New Generation

The Shoshone language is life and definition to the people that speak it, but how do you teach it if you can’t write it? Alfred Jackson is a BLMer, a horseman and a great teacher. He has worked for the BLM Elko District Office Road Crew for 34 years operating heavy equipment. He has trained many employees on the district how to grade thousands of miles of roads. He has a gift with horses and many of his co-worker’s children have ridden a horse for the first time with Jackson. Now at 76 years young, Jackson is teaching Shoshone, his native language, to young children and students. (My Public Lands Tumblr)

Related: How We Teach, How We Learn (BLM National Facebook video)

Long-Standing Prehistoric and Historic, Spiritual and Cultural Connection with Public Lands

BLM's Bishop Field Office hosted a field trip and meeting with the Bishop Paiute Tribe Environmental Group and their Tribal Historic Preservation Officer. This meeting addressed climber and camping impacts to cultural resources on the aboriginal homeland of the Paiute Tribe. Plans for future collaborative efforts, public education, climber outreach, site protection and cultural resource monitoring will continue as part of a partnership with BLM and the Bishop Paiute Tribe. (BLM California Facebook)

Bureau of Indian Affairs Museum Program

The Bureau of Indian Affairs is steward to a substantial museum collection which reflects the history of the BIA, Bureau of Indian Education, and Native American culture. The BIA collection of nearly eight million objects includes archeological artifacts from Indian and Federal lands, ethnographic objects, historic items, archives, and artwork. (BIA website)

HEADLINES AND HIGHLIGHTS

BLM, Forest Service Announce Origin and Cause of Helena Fire

The Bureau of Land Management and United States Forest Service have determined that the 2017 Helena Fire was started on public lands managed by the BLM after a tree branch came in contact with a power line operated by the Trinity Public Utilities District.  The fire then burned onto the Shasta-Trinity National Forest. Responsible parties have not been determined.  While the report of investigation is now available, this continues to be an ongoing investigation. (BLM news release)

BLM and USGS to Drill Groudwater Monitoring Well Near Mammoth Lakes

Crews working for the U.S. Geological Survey Research Drilling Unit are anticipated to begin work on a groundwater monitoring well in the northwest portion of the Mammoth Mountain RV Park in Mammoth Lakes, during the week of Nov. 27. (BLM news release)

El Mirage Off-Highway Vehicle Area Access Road Maintenance Scheduled

The Bureau of Land Management El Mirage Dry Lake Off-Highway Vehicle Area access road will be undergoing maintenance and repair work for approximately two weeks, beginning Monday, November 27. Scheduled work on Mountain View Road includes crack repair, asphalt surface re-seal, new pavement markings, installation of ADA compliant parking stalls, and a concrete swale to improve drainage. Visitation and access to the recreation area on Mountain View Road will be limited to one lane throughout the maintenance period. (BLM news release)

BLM Seeks California Desert District Advisory Council Nominations

The Bureau of Land Management’s California Desert District is soliciting nominations from the public for five members of its California Desert Advisory Council to serve three-year terms. The council’s 15 members provide advice and recommendations to the BLM on the management of more than 10-million acres of public lands in eight counties of southern California. (BLM news release)

BLM Seeks Nominations for Northern California District Resource Advisory Council

The Bureau of Land Management is seeking public nominations for five open positions on the Northern California Resource Advisory Council. The RAC works closely with BLM managers in Alturas, Arcata, Cedarville, Redding and Susanville, providing guidance on the full range of the BLM's responsibilities. As published in a notice in the Federal Register, the BLM will consider nominations until Dec. 4. (BLM news release)

BLM Seeks Nominations to Carrizo Plain National Monument Advisory Committee

The Bureau of Land Management announced that it is seeking public nominations for open positions on 17 of its 36 Resource Advisory Councils, including the Carrizo Plain National Monument Advisory Committee. As published in a notice in the Federal Register, the BLM will consider nominations for 30 days. (BLM news release)
BLM AND DOI HIGHLIGHTS

Week of Gratitude for Thanksgiving

1. Volunteers: We couldn’t do the work we do without the selfless work of our volunteers.
2. Our BLM family: Our over 10,000 passionate employees work together in a family-friendly environment to find the best use for our public lands.
3. Kids: We love sharing public lands with kids!
4. Partners: Partnerships and inclusion are vital to managing sustainable, working public lands.
5. Public lands: Thanks to our country’s vast amount of public lands, we are able to enjoy quiet moments in serene wilderness areas, bountiful fishing on thousands of miles of rivers and streams, affordable grazing of livestock on healthy rangelands and endless opportunities for adventure.
6. Cultural heritage and paleontology: From petroglyphs detailing Native American life to visible wagon ruts on trails that led to the West to ghost towns that give a look into the past, public lands are home to our country’s rich history.
7. Energy independence: #PoweredbyPublicLands – public lands keep the lights on.
8. Recreational opportunities: Public lands make the perfect place to #OptOutside and appreciate America’s Great Outdoors.
9. Natural resources: We are fortunate to live in place with bountiful natural resources, many of which are found on public lands.
10. American traditions: We value our nation’s history and traditions. The BLM was established in 1946, but its roots go back to the years after America’s independence, when this young nation began acquiring additional lands.

From our BLM family to yours, please have a safe and happy holiday season. We hope you find time to enjoy your public lands. (My Public Lands Tumblr)

Following the People's Tree

The tradition of the Capitol Christmas Tree, or "The People’s Tree," began in 1964 when Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives John W. McCormack (D-MA) placed a live Christmas tree on the Capitol lawn. This tree lived three years before succumbing to wind and root damage. In 1970, the Capitol Architect asked the U.S. Forest Service to provide a Christmas tree. Since then, a different national forest has been chosen each year to provide "The People’s Tree." This national forest also works with state forests to provide companion trees that are smaller Christmas trees for offices in Washington, D.C. The Kootenai National Forest in Montana will provide the 2017 U.S. Capitol Christmas Tree. (Capitol Christmas Tree website)

Related: Finding "The One" (Architect of the Capitol website)

Escape City Life at these Public Lands

The U.S. Department of the Interior is joining in the #OptOutside message to encourage people to explore the great outdoors this Black Friday [and beyond]. They've chosen some beautiful, scenic public lands convenient to cities around the USA to choose from, so take a look at the gallery above, or check out their instagram page for more. (USA TODAY)

Related: Beautiful Stargazing Opportunities at Public Lands (USA TODAY)

Related: Great Places to #OptOutside on Your Public Lands in California (BLM California Facebook)

WILDLIFE QUESTION OF THE WEEK

Which of the following clues can help with bird identification?

a) Habitat

b) Shape
c) Size
d) Behavior
e) All of the above

Keep reading for answer below.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Now - mid-December: Repair Work to Begin on Bizz Johnson Trail Flood Damage

Construction crews will begin work Wednesday, Nov. 8, repairing flood damage on a seven-mile section of the Bizz Johnson National Recreation Trail east of Susanville. Access through the construction sites will be closed during working hours, Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., but open during weekends and non-working hours. The Federal Highways Administration is funding and managing the $400,000 project. Site Works Solutions of Redding will complete the work. Officials at the Bureau of Land Management expect project completion in mid-December. (BLM news release)

Now - January: Wild Horse and Burro Adoption Events

The BLM offers wild horses and burros for adoption or purchase at events across the country throughout the year. Upcoming wild horse and burro adoption events are planned into 2018. The most current adoption and purchase event schedule is provided on the BLM website. All times are in local time. Event information is shown in local time and subject to change without notice. Please call the Wild Horse and Burro Information Call Center at (866) 468-7826 for the most updated information. (BLM website)

Now - April 30: Santa Rosa and San Jacinto Mountains National Monument Announces Winter Visitor Center Schedule

As the Coachella Valley begins to move into the winter months, the Santa Rosa and San Jacinto Mountains National Monument Visitor Center will initiate its winter visitor center schedule. From October 1 to April 30, 2018, the visitor center will be open five days a week from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Thursday to Monday, and close on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. (BLM news release)

WILDLIFE QUESTION OF THE WEEK ANSWER
e) All of the above
Birds come in all sorts of eye-catching hues, which makes them easier to spot in busy backdrops. But color isn't always the best place to start when trying to identify a species. Bluebirds aren’t always blue, goldfinches aren’t always gold—if we just focus on color, we may have to learn the same species over and over. Here are some other hints birders can rely on to get to the bottom of the mystery. (How to Identify Birds via Audubon)

News.Bytes is a publication of the Bureau of Land Management California.

Bureau of Land Management
California State Office
2800 Cottage Way, Suite W1623
Sacramento, Ca 95825