Issue 675

A publication of Bureau of Land Management in California

Issue 675-5/22/2015- Visit us on Facebook -- Follow us on Twitter -- Share us with friends and colleagues!

THIS WEEK IN NEWS.BYTES:
- National Conservation Lands
- Discover the Coast
- Discover the Desert
- Headlines and Highlights
- BLM and DOI Highlights
- Wildlife Question of the Week
- Upcoming Events

If this message does not show up properly in your email, you can see it online at:
http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,6qls,as3a,1bct,ijo3

NATIONAL CONSERVATION LANDS

BLM National Conservation Lands 15th Anniversary Celebrations (BLM Website) The Bureau of Land Management invites you to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the National Conservation Lands on June 19 and 20, 2015, in northern California at the Headwaters Forest Reserve and at the King Range National Conservation Area. Please RSVP by June 12. For more information and to RSVP, please visit: blm.gov/ca/nlcs15

National Conservation Lands Social Media Take Over (BLM Tumblr) We End Our May Conservation Lands 15 Social Media Takeover With The top 15 Trails To blaze on BLM's National Conservation Lands http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,eue0,kpuv,1bct,ijo3

Welcome to the May Conservation Lands 15 Social Media TakeOver ( BLM Tumblr) Today's takeover will feature National Historic and Scenic Trails to blaze on BLM's National Conservation Lands - with the top 15 trails for summer adventure, partners who maintain those trails, and a feature location for your bucket list.http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,5s86,dmmq,1bct,ijo3

DISCOVER THE COAST

The Lost Coast Trail (Outward Bound California Facebook) Do you have the luxury of a three day weekend and no idea what to do? Here's an idea: Hike California's Lost Coast! http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,8bhs,k1rn,1bct,ijo3

BLM Lands Among Most Amazing Hidden Gems (BLM Tumblr) The King Range was highlighted in the Weather Channel's recent feature Most Amazing Hidden Gem in Every State. http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,2c18,hm1z,1bct,ijo3

DISCOVER THE DESERT

Mysterious Road Trip: Trona Pinnacles (NBC 4, 5/21/2015) When we think of the natural substances and materials associated with the Golden State, we might ponder redwood burls and ocean foam and the chalky-hued borax around Death Valley and the ice found at the tippy-top of Mount Shasta. http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,72wq,4311,1bct,ijo3

Desert Discovery Center (Desert Discovery Center Facebook) We've had a great week at the center with field trips for Victoria McGatham school Hesperia, the afterschool program activity and event planning for the up coming Mid Summer Desert Festival and Old Spanish Trail public meeting and Trail Day.http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,cb9a,69ms,1bct,ijo3

RELATED: Desert Discovery Center Events (Desert Discovery Center) School will soon be out for Summer and the Desert Discovery Center has some cool events and programs lined up to keep youngsters occupied.http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,iwar,9mmo,1bct,ijo3

It's Endangered Species Day! (Friends of the Desert Facebook) Friends is committed to saving endangered species through the Coachella Valley Multiple Species Habitat Conservation Plan (CVMSHCP). Through our work in land acquisition and conservation, we ensure that important habitat and wildlife corridors are protected - forever. http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,a9n2,9wyu,1bct,ijo3

Friends of the Desert Mountains (Friends of the Desert Mountains Facebook) This weekend, join us on our Upper Elevation Hike to the Gold Hill area of Garner Valley. Our excellent volunteer hike leaders will talk about early mining and ranching in the area, and we'll also stop by "Jack Shack 2" and other old mining camps built sometime in the last century. http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,1g9n,2jey,1bct,ijo3

CALIFORNIA HEADLINES AND HIGHLIGHTS

Elementary Kids Experience Gold Fever (BLM Youtube) Fourth Graders visit the San Joaquin River Gorge to learn about gold panning in the Fresno River. http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,fth0,2oll,1bct,ijo3

RELATED : Students Catch "gold fever" at BLM's Fresno River Site Near Oakhurst, CA (Newsbytes Extra) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,226e,c5ia,1bct,ijo3

The Imperial Sand Dunes (BLM Facebook) This National Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Week we would like to thank our Park Rangers. Each year Park Rangers go through rigorous emergency medical training in order to help visitors when medical calls occur. EMS is just one of the many hats our Park Rangers wear. http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,2nai,chuu,1bct,ijo3

Calif. Declares Emergency After Oil Spill Fouls Sea and Beaches Near Santa Barbara (Washington Post, 5/21/2015) California Gov. Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency for Santa Barbara County late Wednesday after an onshore pipeline burst, spewing thousands of gallons of crude oil into the Pacific Ocean-blackening beaches and endangering West Coast wildlife. http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,gafz,c1ml,1bct,ijo3

RELATED: California Coastal National Monument http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,8o8i,5s9u,1bct,ijo3

Vounteer Naturalist Training (Cosumnes River Preserve Facebook) The 2015 Summer Volunteer Naturalist Training is almost here! The training will be taking place on Saturday June 6th and Saturday June 20th. http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,4pti,g5md,1bct,ijo3

Soda Mountain Not Right for Solar (Huffington Post, May 21, 2015) I want to tell you about a special place in the California desert where bighorn sheep move with customary grace among mountain peaks and thread ancient pathways across the land. http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,cgn7,d698,1bct,ijo3

Dianne Feinstein Weighs in on Tribal Land Exchange (The Desert Sun, May 15, 2015) U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein has deferred to a government environmental report in responding to concerns about a proposed land exchange between the Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians and the federal Bureau of Land Management. http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,wrd,kkzo,1bct,ijo3

BLM Seeks Nominations to Advisory Councils Including Central California and Carrizo Plain (BLM News Release) EL DORADO HILLS, Calif. - The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) today announced that it is seeking public nominations for open positions on 15 Resource Advisory Councils (RACs), including the Central California RAC, which advise the BLM on public land issues. . http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,9qdt,wtn,1bct,ijo3

BLM Seeks Public Input for California Coastal National Monument Resource Management Plan Amendment (BLM News Release) The Bureau of Land Management's Ukiah Field Office is seeking public input as it updates the land use plan for the California Coastal National Monument (CCNM) and its expansion to the Point Arena-Stornetta Unit. http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,7q1k,l0d5,1bct,ijo3

BLM AND DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR HIGHTLIGHTS

This Week at Interior (Video): May 22, 2015 (DOI Youtube)
a major announcement on new strategies to fight wildfires on sagebrush landscapes and rangelands; Secretary Jewell announces nearly $50 million in water reclamation and re-use projects to fight drought in California and eleven other states; Secretary Jewell travels to Maryland to make the case for full and permanent funding for the Land and Water Conservation Fund; two federal wildlife officers are hailed as heroes after safely evacuating visitors from the path of an oncoming tornado; and a proposal to remove an iconic animal from the Endangered Species List. http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,6hqd,fn1u,1bct,ijo3

Historic Drought (US Department of Interior Facebook) A historic drought is plaguing residents in California and other western states. That’s why today Interior announced that it is investing $50 million in water conservation and water efficiency in California and 11 other western states to help bring relief to western communities.http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,9m31,gli9,1bct,ijo3 Learn more: http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,ma6y,m4ag,1bct,ijo3

WILDLIFE QUESTION OF THE WEEK

What species is this famous bird and why was she famous? Here are a few tips:

* She was named after Martha Washington
* She lived to be about 30 years old
* She grew famous during her time at the Cincinnati Zoo
* She was flown first class all over the country

------> See answer near the end of this issue of News.bytes.

UPCOMING EVENTS

May 23: Guided Photography Walk Saturday (Cosunmes River Preserve Facebook)Guided Photo Walk at the Preserve. What a great way to start the holiday weekend! Come join volunteer photographer GariRae Gray and discover landscape photography on this two-hour photo tour. A primary focus of the walk will be enhancing our ''seeing'' of the landscape. Meet at the Visitors Center. http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,318x,4hhf,1bct,ijo3

May 28: Public Meeting Scheduled for Old Spanish National Historic Trail Recreation and Development Strategy (BLM News Release) The Bureau of Land Management (BLM), Barstow Field Office, announces a public open house to assist in the preparation of the Old Spanish Trail Recreation and Development Strategy project. The open house will provide the public an opportunity to share any concerns and to provide comments. http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,mc52,i86t,1bct,ijo3

June 15-19: Volunteers Welcome for Archaeology Week Projects (BLM News Release) Opportunities to learn about archaeology and to try out archaeological field work are available June 15 through 19, when the Bureau of Land Management holds its second annual Archaeology Volunteer Week near Susanville. http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,6m5e,43c1,1bct,ijo3

WILDLIFE TRIVIA ANSWER

ANSWER: Martha was a Passenger pigeon. She was the last of her species and a motivation for the U.S. to pass the first federal law protecting wildlife and much later the Endangered Species Act.

SOURCE: Lone Passenger Pigeon Escapes Pie Pan, Lands In Smithsonian (NPR, 06/27/14) Why the obsession with this one bird? James says a lot of animals have gone extinct, but it's rare to be able to go to the zoo and look the last one in the eyes. http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,vbd,4y5k,1bct,ijo3

RELATED: The Passenger Pigeon's Everlasting Mark: America's Most Infamous Extinction (Huffington Post, 08/25/14) We rarely know the exact date and time an entire species goes extinct, but in the case of the passenger pigeon, we do. Martha, the very last of her species, took her final breath at the Cincinnati Zoo on September 1st 1914, marking the end of a species that was once the most abundant in North America. This was America's first infamous extinction. http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,28tp6,3xn3,rad,j1wn,1bct,ijo3

- If your e-mail program does not allow you to click on the above links to visit that Web page, copy and paste the URL into your browser's "Location" or "Address" bar.
- Some online news sites require free registration to view their content online. Some news sites remove news stories from the Web soon after publication. If you plan to keep a story, you should print a copy or save the Web page to your computer. DISCLAIMER: By linking to Web sites, the BLM does not imply endorsement of those sites, or of products or advertisements on those sites.

News.bytes published by
Bureau of Land Management
California State Office
2800 Cottage Way, Suite W-1834