how to enable use of right-alt key

Greetings!

A long time ago, I found and used a command that enabled me to use the right-alt key in the same way that I could use the left-alt key.  I did this especially for making Emacs easier to use, but I recall that the command itself was by way of the Bash shell.

Recently, I've look for the way to do this but have not found it.  I've so far done no better searching Emacs information.  Can anybody tell me or point me to how I'd do this?  The main benefit for me would be in using Emacs, but being able to use both alt keys at the command line would also help some.

Thanks for any information.

Al Sten-Clanton