speakup and elinks interaction

I'm just starting to use elinks on my Slint Linux 15.0 system with speakup and
notice an annoying situation whenever elinks prompts me to enter a filename.

When I type in each letter, speakup will say the letter  followed by the partially spelled out word.

For example, if I enter the file name junk as the
save file for the current rendered screen speakup says:
j,
j,
u,
ju,
n,
jun,
k,
junk.

This is driving me nuts.  Elinks is obviously refreshing the input
line after each typed letter and forcing speakup to
doublespeak.
Is there an elinks option which would prevent this behavior?
I don't want to tamper with speakup since its settings work fine with everything else.

Thanks.

Rudy

--
Rudy Vener