Re: not yet done

I could be wrong, but I believe the reason something like this hasn't
been and probably cannot be done is because it is possible to patch a
file to match the checksum, but there are multiple combinations,
especially on large files, that can produce the same checksum. There is
also the problem of the infinite number of combinations, one of which
would have to hit just right to make something that will match. You
would have to find the exact bytes that will match the entire file, and
that could take anywhere from an hour to a million years to find the one
that hits just right. It wouldn't be as tough as breaking strong
encryption, but it is very difficult for commercial-grade computers. I
think a quantum computer can do it, but those are not widely available
in 2024. Even today's AI cannot produce a binary identical file whose
copy is broken in some way without having the original file for
comparison. And if you have the original file, you may as well just
recopy it to replace the broken version.

~Kyle