Re: Alsa-compliant Sound Programs

Hi Martin,
I suggest you grab the source of amixer and look at what they include in their gcc command.
Regards, Willem

On Mon, 4 Dec 2023, Martin McCormick wrote:

There simply hasn't been anything else I can find that gives
snd_pcm.  I know what the errors mean but I haven't found any
other libraries that cause any of the 2 or 3 code samples I have
found to see the snd_pcm functions.  Since the system I was most
interested in is a Raspberry pI, I have looked for any libraries
whose names include -dev:armfs.  There are many of those but none
open up snd_pcm functions of which there are many.  Basically, if
these code samples ask for any snd_pcm functions, one is
guaranteed to throw this error right now.

	One sample is for a 64-bit desktop system sound system
and it throws the same errors on a 64-bit desktop.  What I am
thinking is that there may have been some change in thesound
libraries and their contents so stay tuned.  I know it's here
somewhere.

	In searching among lots of dead ends, I have run across a
couple of other people complaining about the same issue but no
answers at all.

	Oh, and don't you just love the net cops who will post a
whole diatribe in some list about how X Y or Z is not the
appropriate question for the list.  That shows up in searches,
also and you have to waste time to determine that this spigot is
dry, also.  It just makes faucet noises but produces no actual water.

	Anyway, Thank all who responded and I'll keep trying to
see how to get snd_pcm to show it's face, so to speak.

Martin
"'Jason J.G. White' via blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx" <blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Those errors from the linker typically mean that you aren't linking to the
required library in the command that links the executable.

You have to include the appropriate header file in compiling your program,
and link to the shared library. Try adding -l asound to the command that
builds the executable.