Re: RHVoice under Fedora question

Hi!

On 9/24/23 21:29, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
Hi,

I want to install RHVoice from source under Fedora, but I have a problem identifiing names of the correct dependencies. Ubuntu says:

apt-get install gcc g++ pkg-config scons libpulse-dev libspeechd-dev

So gcc and g++ are ok, but I can not find the correct package names for other dependencies.

Please go to the definitive source instead. The directions on RHVoice project github page say you would need SCons installed on your system in order to build the binary. You would also need audio libraries and their respective development packages plus I guess pkg-conf and the respective development package.

First we need to check and locate package groups and install them.

<code>
localhost$ sudo dnf group list
</code>

For me this shows three likely candidates which are: 'RPM Development Tools', 'Development Tools' and perhaps 'Fedora Packager'.

We'll install them by running

<code>
localhost$ sudo dnf group install 'RPM Development Tools' 'Development Tools' 'Fedora Packager'
</code>

Secondly we need source code, dependent libraries and their respective development packages. We need to check the official documentation on https://github.com/RHVoice/RHVoice/blob/master/doc/en/Compiling-on-Linux.md By reading the documentation we find out that we need a tool called scons. My wild guess is that it is readily available on one of the preconfigured repositories. Let's find out by running

<code>
sudo dnf search scons
</code>

Which for me shows a candidate called python3-scons. Then we'd like to check this indeed is the tool we want. We can compare information on scons.org web site with information on the install candidate package.

Package information can be read running
<code>
sudo dnf info python3-scons
</code>

Use the same commands but use 'pulseaudio' and 'speech-dispatcher' as the last argument to dnf search (in place of scons). This way we find the needed development packages.

Since these are not package groups but single packages this time we use 'dnf install' instead of 'dnf group' install.

<code>
localhost$ sudo dnf install python3-scons pulseaudio-libs-devel speech-dispatcher-devel
</code>

Can someone help please?

Sorry for my earlier ignorance. I've been busy on other fronts lately. I didn't do the actual installation of the packages mentioned in this email nor did I try compiling RHVoice. That's left for an excercise to you. Later on if you would like to start packaging software for Fedora you'd need to get used to rpm packaging and spec files. There is pretty good documentation available for that.

Hope this helps enough to get started compiling stuff on your box.

Regards,
Birdie