Speech-dispatcher seems broken on ArchLinux

Hi, I installed fenrir on my new ArchLinux, then set it to start using the speech driver and started it through the systemd service. It either didn't speak anything or froze the system alltogether.

then I decided to try starting x, which I had just installed along with the i3-wm and orca. It didn't speak anything as well, nor it left any error in xorg.log.

then I suspected of speech-dispatcher. Spd-say didn't say anything nor returned me to the prompt; I had to terminate it with control-c. It happened as both normal user and root. then I ran spd-conf to create a new configuration, one time as the normal user and another as root. In both ocasions, I chose espeak-ng as the default output module, and alsa as the audio output method. In both ocasions, spd-conf was unable to say anything with spd-say, nor it was able to start or restart speech-dispatcher. It said it was already running, then asked to kill the process, but was unable to locate any running process to kill.

the only difference between running spd-conf as normal user and as root is that, as the normal user, it was unable to play a wave sound file through aplay, whereas it plaied successfully as root. But speech-dispatcher isn't functioning properly, neither as root nor as user.

Lastly, I am unable to start speech-dispatcher with the -d option, which would give a debug file. It says it is already running.

Any help please?
Cleverson