Re: Two Arch beginner questions

Hi,

I have answered your questions in line.

On 27/04/2023 12:58, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
Hi,

today I installed Arch Linux for the first time. Now I have fully setup the console and now, it is time for graphical interface. I will use Mate desktop. I know how to install it, but I have a question related to display manager. Can you recommend me some display manager for Mate desktop, which is packaged for Arch and configured for a11Y (start Orca in the manager)

Gdm is possibly the easiest to get going, but it does mean you install a bunch of gnome applications which you might not want. Lightdm can be good too if configured properly, but that takes a bit more work.

You could always forgo the display manager entirely and use startx at the console prompt to start your x session.

And my second question is related to console screen readers. Espeakup and Fenrir are included. Which of these is better for using console apps, such as email clients, web browsers etc? Is espeakup developed or deprecated?

Espeakup is still very much developed I think, though I personally prefer Fenrir.

Thanks,

Pavel

Thanks,

Aaron