Re: Samba file sharing with external access

On 22/4/23 06:58, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
I use Samba for sharing content of my external 6 Tb hdd for my local network. Now, I want to redirect my hdd to all members of my family, but it requires public access. I have public ip address. So how is the best way to configure Samba for access with my public ip? I have all users and passwords created and I will use Ubuntu and I'll try to use gadmin-samba package, but I have no experience with this type of sharing, so if you have some tips, you can give them.

If it's available over the Internet, then performance is likely to be a problem, as is security.

If I wanted to do this, I would set up a WireGuard connection between the two sides, and make the Samba server available only via WireGuard. Documentation is readily available via your preferred Web search engine for configuring WireGuard.