virtual machine creation

I have a windows machine with one or two programs I want to keep using.
I downloaded a program from VMware which is supposed to convert a machine in to a virtual one.
Then one is supposed to move the new virtual machine on to a linux computer and run it.
Using N V D A I find VMware convert Center to be unusable.
Is there yet another method that could be useful?