Re: best speech settings for dtk generic

The best settings will depend largely on the voice you choose. You of course will need to set the pitch and such manually in your configurations. After playing with this for about a day and a half, it seems that the male adult voices sound best with a pitch setting in Orca between 1.0 and 1.5, 1.5 being roughly the default pitch generated by the say command if no pretext is added to change the pitch. Adult female voices seem to sound best at roughly 4.5, and the child voice sounds best at somewhere between 5.0 and maybe 5.5. This is the only setting I really needed to tweak depending on the voice I chose. The speech rate is of course up to your personal taste, though I find that the faster DECTalk speaks, the more mumbly it sounds. The new frame rate options in recent builds may fix this, but speech-dispatcher currently doesn't know how to calculate frame rate and rate of speech to make speech sound better without tripping over itself at high speeds.

~Kyle