Re: TDSR?

Unlike Speakup, tdsr does not require kernel modules in order to work. Also, tdsr can run in any text environment from a text-only tty console to a terminal running in a window manager or full desktop. It is also highly portable, and should run on nearly any OS, although I don't think it has been tested on something like FreeBSD. I see no reason why it shouldn't work there, as long as speech-dispatcher is installed. There is of course a disadvantage in that it does not speak before a shell is running and must be started either as your shell is starting or via a run window that allows a program to be started in a terminal. This also means that for every terminal or text console tty you have open, you run one instance of tdsr, which could cause slowdowns on hardware with tight resource constraints.

~Kyle