Re: Is there a Fedora Espeakup Package?

According to Didier
Caveat: I do not own a Braille device - and would not know how to use it, anyway...

That's OK. Brltty actually doesn't need a braille device. Some time back it could double as a screen reader even though braille is still its primary focus. As I recall, there is a dummy braille driver that can be used in lieu of a braille display when using brltty for only speech output.

I haven't tried the screen reader portion of it either, but I do recall certain improvements over the years that made it useful in that capacity. I'm certain it won't replace Orca on the desktop, but for text use, it seems that now it may be useful. Since it can run as a system service, instead of as a subshell, it can certainly replace things like tdsr, since it doesn't require that a user be logged in to get it speaking. Brltty is also reported to work on FreeBSD and such, so I would be interested to know how well the screen reader portion works there as well.

~Kyle