Re: slack in Ubintu?

Sebastian,
This is a profoundly intelligent question.
Interestingly enough the Web access initiative list, which discusses and tracks action around wCaG and other universal design policies talked about this recently. Tied to a case in India. One of the most unfortunate mistakes many many many people make is to start with the screen reader, when in fact what makes things work is the design elements. Progressive enhancement where one starts with a good old fashioned html floor, then incorporates other elements to which browsers created for those elements can draw upon, is the most inclusive path to screen reader function. That is because a screen reader, and there are scores of them across platforms is basically at its best a talking monitor and keyboard. Speaks when keys are struck, responds if an enter key is hit, reacts if the site in turn is coded to properly react to this first and foremost. Web Access content guidelines are technology certainly browser agnostic. Meaning they focus on Interaction, not tool..so you do not end up expecting a person to be disabled according to a specific definition. Inclusion is not about blindness or screen readers, and more than those experiencing sight loss benefit from, and use screen readers. Instead of asking about screen reader tools, perhaps consider exploring progressive enhancement web design practices. that way not only screen readers work, but voice browsers and augmented keyboards too.
Does that resonate?
Karen