Re: "Accessibility in Fedora Workstation" (fwd)

Hey Matt,

Am I way off base here, or are you one of the guys behind the browser plugin or whatever it was that allowed me to pay my bills through my bank on Linux for the first time way back more than 15 years ago, when banks and their online billpay services were still fairly new, but had already moved away from the ability to use them with text-mode browsers? If so, you are the one I need to thank for actually getting me off the Microsoft train completely. I always wanted off, but until your browser plugin came along, 2005 I think it was, browser functionality with my online banking was the only thing keeping my illegally obtained XP partition on my hard drive. So I have you and others like you to thank for allowing me to finally wipe it.

I just wanted to say that your response and your attention to detail when it comes to this article, as well as your research on the topic and even Red Hat and Lukas himself is very well done and well written. Regarding accessibility in general, you are saying things that I have been saying for a long time, since as much as I loved the text console and my ability to use it more productively overall than Microsoft's graphical environment, it didn't take me long to see the growing holes in the technologies available in text mode that made me have to reboot at that time into a system I was trying very hard to leave behind, and your browser plugin for Firefox followed by the subsequent development of GNOME 2.x, was what got me over that final hurdle. So I just wanted to thank you for your work and for your well-thought-out responses and research. And if you're not the one behind the browser plugin I used at that time, pass my gratitude on to whoever was responsible for it. That was certainly the turning point. *claps loudly*

And before I forget, yes, I am a Fedora user these days, although I'm primarily on Fedora-MATE-Compiz rather than Workstation. Still, the fact that a concerted effort is being made to fix what's broken or has fallen into disrepair is extremely good news to me, as I do still keep up with GNOME developments despite my strong MATE preference, and it does seem that MATE itself can probably benefit from much of this work also, since it uses GTK under the hood. I look forward to KDE developments in this area as well.

~Kyle