alpine and Gmail future changes?

Hi folks,
I am both starting this thread, and including the list where the question is rather important. My goal being helping those blind Linux users who rely on alpine to manage their gmail account, and letting them know how to reach the alpine list too. I recall? there might? be a solution already in place, but just in case can someone articulate how to keep alpine working with gmail in light of anticipated changes by google?
best,
karen