Re: FYI - Command Line Programs for the Blind

I would guess that audio is meant in this case for recording. Since the way audio is heard is based more on the speakers used than the underlying system, unless equalization is involved, I think recording for things like voice dictation is more what's needed in this case, though I could be wrong. That said, if your microphone works for you now, you should get better results using voice dictation through Google Chrome or similar, or by installing the speech-to-text service from the web store on any Chrome-based browser.

Regarding that, I just found

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/voice-recognition/ikjmfindklfaonkodbnidahohdfbdhkn?hl=en

which seems to be installable into any chrome-based browser from the web store, so you shouldn't need Google Chrome specifically at all. It should be usable through Chromium, which you will find on most distributions including Ubuntu, or Brave, which may require a repository installation, but will be more up-to-date than Ubuntu's version of Chromium.

~Kyle