Re: FYI - Command Line Programs for the Blind

But there's my point. It may be that you don't want your calendar and search bar, but others do. We can argue all day long that they should not be on by default, or that they should. The point I'm trying to make is that Thunderbird is mostly usable right out of the box, cluttered though it is, but Mutt makes you go through a ton of configurations just to make it read a mailbox, which is something that Thunderbird can do in about 30 seconds, but takes a week of fiddling about in Mutt's nearly incomprehensible configuration files that are not documented internally very well, or wading through tons of online documentation just to find out how to set up a mailbox. There is such a thing as exposing an end user to every conceivable setup, allowing him/her to make changes to every aspect of the system, and then there's dropping the end user into the middle of the ocean without a life jacket and expecting him/her to be able to find the way to the shore. As I said, I would pretty much consider myself to be a power user, and I couldn't survive Mutt configuration apart from *mostly* getting it working on a home computer that was doubling as an email server at the time, and that's not practical for most people, especially those who just want to be able to set up a new computer and start reading and responding to email in a few minutes.

~Kyle