Re: Non-visual mind mapping alternatives

Tim here.  If you already use emacs, orgmode really is a great fit.
One of the other aspects of mind-maps involves the ability to create
links between arbitrary between nodes on the map (branches of the
tree).  I *think* that orgmode supports this, but you'd have to
research doing it.

As a second possibility, I (a vi/vim/ed user, and not steeped in the
ways of emacs/orgmode) tend to use graphviz.  It's a particular format
of plain-text/mark-up file processed by a suite of tools (I most
frequently use "dot") that convert the graph-description into any
number of output image-formats.

Both are plain-text and can be transformed into other formats, stored
edited in your favorite text-editor, in your favorite version-control,
and synched around as you see fit.

Hope this gives you some other ideas,

-Tim